iPhone 6 wall charger

markr6

Flashaholic
I was looking at these on Amazon: Anker 2 pack 10W USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ Technology for Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Black)

$9.99
5V, 2A

Would that be OK for my iPhone 6, or should I stick with the smaller standard 1A units? I use a 2A car charger since I usually want it done quicker on trips. But for daily use when I'm not in a hurry, I'm wondering what I should get.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
The charger is really in the iPhone, the so called "charger" is only a power source. Which means that you can use any 5V power source. The amount of current will be limited by the iPhone to what the phone can handle.

The iPhone can also only use 2A if the USB connector is coded as Apple 2.1A. Of course you should also look for a "charger" that delivers a clean and stable 5V. Many third part "chargers" also have less than stellar safety/security.

CPF member HKJ has tested quite a few "chargers", check it out here:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered buying a new/used iPad wall charger? It's made to Apple's spec's & it will give you the higher charging power for when you need it.

Either way a 2.1A charger is not going to tax the phone cells. If your worried about heat build up in the pack you could always disconnect the charger after you charge 40-50% & let it cool down if your worried about it.

I personally try to keep my phone between 40-80% unless I know I have a busy phone use day ahead.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Those chargers should work, but I prefer the 20W Anker with two ports. Same price (if you get the 20W in white), but you get double the power, and the two are almost the same size. I don't usually have to charge two things at once, but I like having the option, especially since I'm not giving up small size or paying more. I've got several Anker chargers, and they're every bit as good as the comments on Amazon would have you believe. I don't even look at other brands of power equipment any more.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few dealers on eBay sell the iPad charger bricks and the cigarette plug with two lightning cords for $18.

The bricks are available in both. 10 and 12 watt versions.