Kel-Lite LED drop-in available?

Jimson

Newly Enlightened
The only "easy" ways I know are sort of dim

My 6-cell light has an old Nite Ize LED replacement bulb. I'd estimate it puts out 20 lumens. eBay has sellers with these, and I know Amazon sells the 1-watt model of the same brand. I've never seen that one. Those are "easy". An alternative is to purchase a Dorcy 40 Lumen LED bulb and make a "dummy" replacement for two of the batteries, for this one is rated for only 6 volts. I've cut the tops off two plastic pill bottles, taped them together, and drilled holes in the two ends. The final step is to put a machine screw down the center of the cylinder to serve as a conductor. A bit more trouble, but this bulb is cheaper, and twice as bright.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
Re: The only "easy" ways I know are sort of dim

Using NiMH batteries, you would only need one battery dummy, wouldn't you?

I am going to use that bulb in an old RayOVac five cell, and my intention was to use 5 AA to D adapters, and Eneloops.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

My 6-cell light has an old Nite Ize LED replacement bulb. I'd estimate it puts out 20 lumens. eBay has sellers with these, and I know Amazon sells the 1-watt model of the same brand. I've never seen that one. Those are "easy". An alternative is to purchase a Dorcy 40 Lumen LED bulb and make a "dummy" replacement for two of the batteries, for this one is rated for only 6 volts. I've cut the tops off two plastic pill bottles, taped them together, and drilled holes in the two ends. The final step is to put a machine screw down the center of the cylinder to serve as a conductor. A bit more trouble, but this bulb is cheaper, and twice as bright.

Thanks for the information, though I have to admit I am a little disappointed. Why is it that a drop in for the maglites can be up to 140 lumen, but for this six cell light it is only 20? Is that just simply because of the design of the light? 20 lumen almost seems not worth the trouble, as I think the Kel-lite with a normal bulb is still pretty bright. I don't know if it is worth to change it out. The 40 lumen still seems low and for a lot more work. My father is over 60 and probably isn't interested in cutting out pill bottles and the like to make hte flash light work properly with less batteries. I am surprised there is not a better alternative. How is it that other companies can get 140 lumen out of a 4 cell D maglite?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aftermarket suppliers choose to make products based upon what they think they can sell. The market for upgrading old MagLites is MUCH larger than that for Kel-Lite products simply due to the number of old lights in circulation.

I'm not personally familiar with the Kel-Lite your father has but I'm sure it would be possible for a modder to build something capable of well beyond 140 lumens, albeit at a cost.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

I am sure my father is not going to be interesting in somone fooling around with his light, and the cost probably isn't worth it. It seems to me keeping the same incandesent bulb in it is probably just the best thing to do at this point. Indeed the Kel-lites are old, and probably no one wants to create something easy and bright for them because there are not that many around, where as maglites have tons, it makes sense. Just unfortunate.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Do Kel-Lites use PR base lamps? If so, there should be something that drops in available such as the "TerraLUX - MiniStar5 Extreme 4-6 Cell LED Flashlight Bulb" available from LEDSupply.

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened

Do Kel-Lites use PR base lamps? If so, there should be something that drops in available such as the "TerraLUX - MiniStar5 Extreme 4-6 Cell LED Flashlight Bulb" available from LEDSupply.

This is something I wouldn't know as I am far away from him. I was thinking the Terralux might work, but if the mount is different it would be useless, so...

PJD642

Newly Enlightened

Not a lot of help to you, I know, but I carried a Kel-Lite when I started out as a baby LEO 20+ years ago. It held up VERY nicely to abuse. Wish I knew whatever happened to mine :(