Knife vs Multi-tool perception

thegreatchangsby

Newly Enlightened
I actually carried a mini grip for years and the past 3 years have been carrying my leather man wave. Its heavier clipped to my pocket but worth it in terms of EDC functionality. My wife instinctively reaches for it when we are out and she needs it because she always knows where it is. Flashlight and pen on left pocket, multi-tool on right pocket.

Back to topic, I completely agree with the general public having an astonished look when someone pulls out a knife "Oh my gosh, why do you carry a knife?"

I get the same response when I pull out my flashlight walking somewhere in the dark. Why do you carry a flashlight??? Because there's light and dark. I like to be able to see when its dark.....

If only more people started carrying knifes and other smaller EDC items would the general public start catching on.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have a hard time imagining what parts of the world all these people who are astonished to see a knife or flashlight are in. I find it a lot easier to imagine the general public taking notice when guys deliberately flourish their amazing items because I seldom if ever get any of those reactions with my 4" blade or various flashlights, which are actually owned by non-CPF members in recent times. Heck, I've even carried my Cold Steel Trailmaster and not had people give that much notice. Biggest difference is in manner of carry and usage.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm glad to live in an area where open carry of a sheathed fixed blade doesn't get a second look. Nevermind a pocket clip or two. Having lived and worked in an area that wasn't like that, it's a pleasant change.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that a lot of people now live lives that are so protected and smooth and safe that they have absolutely no sense of perspective.
Hollywood hasn't helped with this since the only time a knife shows up in a movie is in the hands of "the psycho" who wants to hurt people

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Gerber Freehand multitool for years. It's a big tough multitool, with a black coating. I got some weird comments and looks from people, that saw a multitool as a threat.

I'm an office employee. A few weeks ago, I opened a box in the warehouse with a normal tiny pocket knife (blade is less then 2" I think, has wooden handles, nothing tactical) and someone was surprised I carried something as dangerous as that. Everyone in the warehouse has a snap off utility knife, even him. It's a weird world.

Last edited:

HouseBuilder328

Newly Enlightened
For a while now, I alternate between carrying the Swiss Army Champ and the Spyderco Persistence (which is the smaller version of the Tenacious). Considering I've even showed people how many tools the Champ has, including many sharp and "dangerous" things people be concerned about including the wood saw, double knives, metal saw, etc - the reaction is always "oh wow, how cool is that?"

When carrying the Spyderco Persistence, I get looks and frowns. Not just strangers, but even friends. And everyone is always like, "Why would you need that?"

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Three posts in a row citing experiences that I never, ever, ever get with either my Leatherman, Benchmade 580 or 520. I bet it's in the matter of fact way I present the knife as a tool and never do any flourishes which are fun to do when alone walking through the woods.

The bigger the knife blade, the more subtly I present it and it's worth noting that body english, speech and general demeanor have more to do with it than the item itself.

tranders

Newly Enlightened
I spent 12 years working for a small public school corporation. Perception is an important aspect in that situation and that is why I carried either my Leatherman Wave or one of my Victorinox knives. The "perception" were they are tools rather than weapons.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I've pulled out pocket knives many times. I've never had anyone say anything to me about it. Those range in appearance from all stainless, one that is black and stainless, and another that looks more refined with its wooden handles. I don't know if anyone has given me any kind of look, though I don't recall ever looking around for a reaction. Generally, if I pull out a knife, I'm trying to accomplish something....so spinning my head to see if anyone is giving me a 'look' doesn't happen. Pretty much everyone has knives at home in their kitchen, they see them at restaurants, they see them for sale in all sorts of stores.

I do have a large Zero Tolerance folder/flipper that would probably get folks attention...but it's a more aggressive style and probably 7" long when opened. I keep it in my truck and carry it on hikes, which is more fitting for a larger knife.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I carry a spyderco Chicago and a leatherman juice s2 orange everyday. No one has ever said anything in years except one friend of mine I started hanging out with a few years back. One day I pulled out the chicago, which is a 2 inch blade knife, to open a package or something and I got the "oh you have a knife? Why do you have a knife?" Type thing. A few more times with the "I still dont understand why you carry that around" and eventually there was a resentful click in his head. Nowadays its "hey, you got your..." And that all he gets out becuase I've typically already seen the problem and am in the process of handing my knife to him. Usually that's followed up with "of course you do" or "that was a stupid question wasnt it". He still wont carry a knife, but after going through the same thing with flashlights he now has a couple zebralights that he uses at work which he bought on my recommendation. As it stands only a few of my friend's carry knives, less if any a multi tool. These days all the people im around regularly just expect it and think nothing of me pulling out and using knives, tools and lights for random situations that I need them.

Last edited:

Joseph08

Newly Enlightened
Another excellent post and my feelings exactly. Few things more exasperating than people that do carry a larger knife and make a point of brandishing it to bolster their pride. Nothing wrong with carrying a larger knife if that's what you need and you can carry it responsibly.

Personally, I need them both. I use the serrated blade on my Leatherman a lot for certain duties, the straight blade for things that I don't care to subject my main knife to, and use the pliers and screwdrivers on a daily basis. Still need a standalone knife for regular knife duties though. Can't imagine not being able to carry both.

I mostly prefer a multi-tool rather than carrying a knife. I often go to camping so carrying an all-purpose tool serves the purpose well.