Koito D2S +20 "4000LM" bulb

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I stumbled across these from a old (site who cannot be named here) thread. I thought the legal spec was 3200LM +-15%, so how would their claim of 4000LM be legal? Normally I would be extremely sceptical of this being chinese garbage, but it seems to be the real koito site, albeit in japanese.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
It's actually 3200 +/- 450 lumens.

Thanks, I didn't bother to look up the spec and I assumed discharge laws were similar to halogen laws, which IIRC are +-15% though I could be wrong. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Who says these bulbs are legal...?

I naively assumed a OEM supplier would only produce legal products.

That is an actual Koito product.

Good to hear! My question then do these actually have a higher flux than CBIs or XV1s? And would there be a optical precision drawback like there is with over wattage halogens vs high efficiency bulbs like Xtreme Visions?

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious too, do these actually produce the claimed 4,000 lumen or is this some kind of gimmick?

OP may have linked the wrong bulb page, I don't read Japanese but he's asking about the P35210 Koito D2S bulb.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems to be the real koito site, albeit in japanese.
Not surprising that the real Koito site is in Japanese. Koito is a Japanese company and the site is in the .jp country code top level domain. Now, if it seemed to be the real Koito site, albeit in Basque or Navajo, then maybe we might be surprised.

Oh, and look what else is new!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Koito product/s make/s you say so?

http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/product/bulb/detail.html?productCode=C060 "Head lamp dedicated LED white beam" which may or may not be a decent PnP LED solution for headlamps.
http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/product/bulb/detail.html?productCode=C061 "Colorcon Valve Collection" is reminiscent of the Philips bulbs that had colored bands to make headlamps appear pink and pale green and such.

THESE (24V vehicles only angle-type 4-lamp type LED head lamp unit) were what you might have mentioned would be great. I thought you were refering to these guys and thought you were being facetious about for which traffic directionality they were made.

I guess the rotating sequence of 'stories' on the top page banner was what misled me.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Not surprising that the real Koito site is in Japanese. Koito is a Japanese company and the site is in the .jp country code top level domain. Now, if it seemed to be the real Koito site, albeit in Basque or Navajo, then maybe we might be surprised.

It was meant as a warning to those who may not be fluent in google translate.

Circling back to the original topic, does this bulb produce the amount of light it claims to do, and would it be a brighter choice(haha) than a osram cbi or philips xv1?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/product/bulb/detail.html?productCode=C060 "Head lamp dedicated LED white beam" which may or may not be a decent PnP LED solution for headlamps.

I have no direct experience, but I spent some time digging (with Google Translate's help) through reviews of it on amazon.co.jp, and they were not generally favorable.

http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/product/bulb/detail.html?productCode=C061 "Colorcon Valve Collection" is reminiscent of the Philips bulbs that had colored bands to make headlamps appear pink and pale green and such.

True. Probably still legally white, though.

THESE (24V vehicles only angle-type 4-lamp type LED head lamp unit) were what you might have mentioned would be great.

Yes. I'd like to get my hands on those to compare them to the domestic American offerings, but I'm not curious enough to spend $300+ (each).

I thought you were refering to these guys

I think those are a good idea, too.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Circling back to the original topic, does this bulb produce the amount of light it claims to do, and would it be a brighter choice(haha) than a osram cbi or philips xv1?

I don't have data to base an opinion on.

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
Who'da thunk it, CPF Virgil and Alaric are pro underglow! :nana: