LION empty for 24 months

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
got a replacement phone from insurance....sticker shows inventory of Oct 21. Sold date appears to be in Sept 21.
So roughly 2 years it has sat - phone arrived with a near empty battery today. I know it's not best practice for Lithium....

I've yet to check the posted charge via battery app on this device but whaddya say.
Should be okay on the batter on this device n - with the LION sitting drained for quite some time ?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you take a two year old car as a replacement? NO!

Lithium batteries, like all battery chemistries, begin aging from the born on date. You want the freshest battery you can get. Getting a cell phone with a two year old battery in it is like buying a new car that has 30,000 miles driven on it and two years taken off the warranty. Return it, and demand a new cell phone with a new, recently manufactured battery.

NiOOH

Enlightened
It's not unusual to get batteries that are about two years old. It's not the best situation, but I have several cells manufactured in 2020 and 2021 that still measure and work well. So, i'd say that modern Li cells can be stored for 2-3 years without adverse effect. If the phone was kept in a cool storage place at lower humidity, there should be no problem.

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
This is not a -brand new- purchase. Insurance replacement - lost devoice. However, it's considered _new stock_ or close to it.
I just checked. It had 8 charge cycles on it

It's alot better than the -refurbs- from insurance. The largest insurance carrier - they literally etch *behind* the glass back -refurbished by X-. I can't speak universally but one time I received a replacement eon's ago, that had the etching. I was blown away. This replacement is from the wireless carrier *stock*