LowDC regulator from High DC in put

Ranganathan

Newly Enlightened
Dear members.

I want 12.6V regulated out put from 84VDC. If any body help me? ( It is for solar application )

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi!

Try a normal laptop power supply. Their input may be rated 110V AC, but since it passes through a rectifier to charge up the input Caps, having DC input in the first place should not hurt.
They are cheap enough so that you can experiment a little.

SemiMan

Banned
Dear members.

I want 12.6V regulated out put from 84VDC. If any body help me? ( It is for solar application )

Sounds like you are trying to get 12V battery equivalent from Solar?

Without giving us details on the input source, output power load, etc. we can't help you too much.

Laptop supplies would cut off well before 85VDC so not an option really.

Semiman

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much current or power are you converting? 10mA or 10 amps?

For modest power, you can get a nice buck converter from Texas Instruments... the LM5116
http://www.ti.com/product/lm5116

That page says it can be built into a design that delivers 20A, and the data sheet shows a design that produces an output of 5v at 7 amps.

SemiMan

Banned
How much current or power are you converting? 10mA or 10 amps?

For modest power, you can get a nice buck converter from Texas Instruments... the LM5116
http://www.ti.com/product/lm5116

That page says it can be built into a design that delivers 20A, and the data sheet shows a design that produces an output of 5v at 7 amps.

Unless you know what you are doing, the 5116 may not provide enough headroom for you. Though it is rated at 100V, if you are starting at 85V, you will need to be careful to ensure transients are not high enough voltage to damage the 5116. Switching transients over 100V would be easy. This is not necessarily a novice design.

Semiman

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you know what you are doing, the 5116 may not provide enough headroom for you. Though it is rated at 100V, if you are starting at 85V, you will need to be careful to ensure transients are not high enough voltage to damage the 5116. Switching transients over 100V would be easy. This is not necessarily a novice design.

Semiman

The design spec was rather loose, so I just threw something out that could potentially be useful. For a solar panel, I'd be a bit skeptical that 84vdc was the absolute max output (full sun, cold temps, no load, etc.). Without knowing the full spec, it's not possible to produce a real solution. I was just trying to prompt some thought about what the spec really was... but the LM5116 is still an interesting IC for a switcher. I don't have a lot of spare time to play with projects, but I'd like to see someone else do it. :)

edit: as a secondary consideration, do most solar power systems design for EN61000, which is the EMC spec for stationary applications? I'm mostly thinking about the burst and surge specs which include some rather high transient voltages (1000 volts or so). I'd hate for a nearby lightning strike to take out the system.

Last edited: