LumaPower M3 review up at FlashlightReviews.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's really nice to see some humour thrown into your reviews, re: batteries and dogs. :) :D :twothumbs: :D :)
I'll have you throwing bezels & tailcaps in the commode yet. ;)

lumapower

Newly Enlightened
Hi Doug P. ,

Thank you very much for details reviews and explanations for M3-Transformer.

We do feel shame since the Tactical switch is not a good design for small lights.
And also the LED's top plastic cap is not tightly fixed.

Will improve it refer to your comments.

Thank you very much and best rgds.

Ricky and All members of Lumapower Team

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

Thanks again for another great review. I could only imagine how long this one took to do. I have the M3 and it has grown on me with each day of use. I use RCR123a's and e2 Lithium AA's so I will have to get a lux meter to see what they are doing, but I have wanted to buy a meter anyway.

Thanks again for the great review on a another cool cree light!

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
lumapower said:
We do feel shame since the Tactical switch is not a good design for small lights.

Ricky, I actually really like your tactical switch, it's so nice and simple. If you replaced the medium level with the low level, the M3 be my dream light.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like once more to commend Ricky and the whole Lumapower Team for being always alert to comments and suggestions on their products.

We love you folks !!!

:twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs

JML

Enlightened
Doug, great review of a great light.

The GITD and black tail switch covers are interchangeable (which isn't mentioned), so you have even more options and permutations! The switches are assembled into identical tailcaps. Plus there's a forward clickie on the way... And perhaps another LED module!

It's a good idea to take the switch of choice apart, and add the right lube to the threaded parts as well as between the switch cover and switch, and switch cover and tailcap, to prevent the elastomer from sticking to the metal and to add water-resistance. There's no o-ring in the switch assemblies.

(You have one typo: "talicap" for "tailcap".)

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I really don't feel that there is a need for an o-ring in the switch assemblies. The way it's put together really puts a lot of compression on the switch boot and that makes for a very sound design as far as water resistance. Far better than what you see from Surefire on their G2 and 6P for instance. That being said, my M1 Tactical also has some thread slop that makes it possible to turn on the light by pushing sideways on the tailcap unless it's backed off by a couple of turns.

JML

Enlightened
I wasn't suggesting that there ought to be an o-ring in the switch assembly, but that the switch boot itself ought to be regarded as the functional equivalent of one. There's a slight raised circle on the boot, and the elastomer does compress a bit. The switch assembly itself ought to have some lube on the tailcap threading, to prevent galling of the metal and to to add to water resistance. I cleaned and lubed the threads, and also wiped a small amount of lube on the surfaces of the switch boot that are in contact with metal.

Last edited:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Aah, ok. Yes, I agree. I did the same with both my D-Mini and the M1. It's a very solid switch design, but I would like to see threads that are just a little bit tighter in tolerance.

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
I thought that a lot of the M3 owners reported that the overall output was noticeably less than the L1D, however Doug's review shows output numbers that are similar. I'm becoming more intrigued by this light every minute:sssh: !

JML

Enlightened
Issues of output aside, LumaPower quality control and build quality far exceeds Fenix's. And LumaPower and BatteryJunction provide superb & speedy customer service.

gunga

Flashaholic
You are right JML. I actually tried to sell my M3 a few times, but cost was too high...

After using it some more, I'm liking the beam quality and build quality a lot. I also like the fact I can use 3.7V Li-on on it since I have a few batteries. Too bad the circuitry is not as advanced as Fenix, allowing for super -long runtimes as well as high output.

I am looking forward to picking up another module and turbohead, but the cost is pretty high (likey $50+) so may as well pick up another light for that money!

Status
Not open for further replies.