Machining services wanted.

DVH8

Newly Enlightened
Preliminary inquiry:

I am designing some electronics which will use a Convoy L2 host as its power supply and battery holder.
I will need a forward enclosure (Aluminum?) that will replace the front lens retaining ring, and needs to be threaded to match the host.
I don't have a complete design yet, so for now assume the OS and ID to match the host, and the length of this section is not more than 2 inches.
The front end will need some sort of closure with a 12mm hole, and that cap may need to be plastic rather than metal.

I have no idea what the thread metrics are, and MTNElectronics doesn't either.

I would like to get them anodized to match the host, and some "tacticool" machining features would be nice as long as it doesn't drive up the cost too much.

I'd like to find someone who can work with me as I refine my requirements, and in the end produce 100 of these enclosures.

I'm not equipped with solidworks, but I can develop the overall shape in OpenSCAD if that helps.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked into local machine shops?
I don't know where you live, but here in Phoenix, there have been a few shops that helped me out with small runs of items

Having the design in a CAD drawing would be ideal, of course. Do you realize that making a single prototype might cost up to $500? Once the details are set, each additional piece will be much less, because you'll be ordering in bulk.

Have you considered having a company like Shapeways do a 3D print for you?
I've had success doing some proto work via them, even had a fellow Shapeway user transfer my AutoCAD 2d into a 3D format that Shapeway understands.
It will give you a great example of dimensional relationships

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell me more about Shapeways? I'd like to have a pill made for a light, it looks like they can use metal in their designs. I think this would be a far cheaper route than have it done on a CNC. I know the dimensions, and have the image in my head of exactly what I would like.

Wish I had learned AutoCAD...lol.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took AutoCAD classes back in the mid 80's for architectural design, and have used it ever since. Still have not progressed to 3D, so we're in the same boat. I'm experimenting with Blender, which is an open source 3D modeling software. Plus, it's free!

Shapeways will take your existing drawing, and make it in various materials. You can even hire a designer to make the part in Blender or similar for you, I think I paid about $40 per hour last time I hired someone to transfer my ACAD 2D to a 3D format that Shapeways understands.

I was creating a replacement bezel for a vintage Gallet chronograph, and my last prototype was made in 3D printed aluminum.
irJS5I.jpg

Get an account going, and see what they offer.
https://design.shapeways.com/

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're already making the design in openscad you can export to stl file which can be uploaded to shapeways. I haven't done much with making parts but one of my hobbies is math related art and I use shapeways a lot for printing stuff from openscad and meshmixer.

DVH8

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked into local machine shops?
I don't know where you live, but here in Phoenix, there have been a few shops that helped me out with small runs of items

I don't know any local machine shops, but with the intertubes, local is less important than it used to be.

Having the design in a CAD drawing would be ideal, of course.

I will get there, but I'm not there yet.

Do you realize that making a single prototype might cost up to $500? Once the details are set, each additional piece will be much less, because you'll be ordering in bulk.

I've been prototyping electronics since 1978. Well aware of the issues with everything from onesies (which is why I own three 3D printers) to millions and manufacturing in Taiwan and China.

[/QUOTE] Have you considered having a company like Shapeways do a 3D print for you?
I've had success doing some proto work via them, even had a fellow Shapeway user transfer my AutoCAD 2d into a 3D format that Shapeway understands.
It will give you a great example of dimensional relationships[/QUOTE]

I have my own printers, and I've used shapeways and other services in the past. I have no idea what the threads are, and I'm not a machinist, so I don't really know how to measure them.
I don't want to over specify, and cause issues by asking for hard things when there's an easy answer.

light-modder

Enlightened
The "pill" houses the driver and the led board. It screws in behind the reflector or other optic. They are also referred to as a "light engine". The Convoy L2 has these integrated so they are not removable. The led sits on a solid shelf under the reflector and on the opposite side there is a cavity for the driver. The driver cavity has a shelf that is a ring where the driver sits and the components have some clearance ie the cavity. Hope that helps.

light-modder

Enlightened
I'll be getting a lathe soon and could probably be talked into a cheap project as I have a lot to learn still.