Maxflex3 problem

jam46

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have stupidly managed to short the anode of D2 to ground whilst using the maxflex 3 driver. Now the main LEDs will not light but the status led flashes the check sequence and continues to flash once every second when turned on. No amount of pressing the switch or adjusting the power supply voltage will change the output. I think I may have damaged the IC Q1 but dont know what this device is so cannot replace it. Is there any chance of saving the driver or do I need to buy a new one from Cutters and pay their extortionate postage?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
You had emailed me this question and I emailed you back - presumably you didn't receive my email?? Anyhow, this is what I wrote:

------------
Hi Jon,
Q1 is FET, Fairchild FDC602P. If that part is destroyed it will prevent power getting to the switcher IC. The uC will run, but the switcher won't, so no light to the main LEDs.

Grounding the Anode of D2 would have provided full battery voltage to the Gate of the FET. It is rated at 12V Max, so if your battery voltage was higher than that it would have destroyed the FET.

It could be repaired, if it is just the FET that is damaged.

----------------

You could purchase a maxflex3 directly from me if that is easier than ordering through Cutter.

cheers,
george.

jam46

Newly Enlightened
Hi George

Thanks for such a quick response. Sorry I didnt receive your email but will try replacing the FET. If this doesnt work the I will definately be ordering another driver and probably more for some other projects.

Jon

Latest posts