• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGimo Sundrop AA Dulling Finish

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

I'm thinking about picking up a Sundrop in AA. Ive never been too keen on the polished TI finish and I love when I see lights that have that little grey hue to them (not bead blast grey, but in between polished and beas blast with still a smooth finish). What's the best way to achieve this? Just take a scotch brite pad and softly work it around the light until you get the desired look you want? I wasn't sure if there were any specific ways or methods like attach the pad to a Dremel or just go one direction around the light as to not cause swirling. Attached a few photos I found online to show what I kind of mean.

Attachments

• flashlight-pre-owned-mcgizmo-sundrop-6v-titanium-semi-custom-1_2000x.jpg
    flashlight-pre-owned-mcgizmo-sundrop-6v-titanium-semi-custom-1_2000x.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 9b5ffe81dffc0d99be815755d656c8e9.jpg
    9b5ffe81dffc0d99be815755d656c8e9.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 142

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not with a dremel. It would be hard to keep a uniform finish. I'd say try with a scotch pad or coarse steel wool. Mirlon pads work well too and yiu can get different grits to adjust to you liking.

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
I would have though a dremel would be easier to keep a uniform finish vs going by hand, but hand would definitely be easier to get a constant pressure I guess! Thanks!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shiny finish itself goes off fairly quickly when using a flashlight, titanium is very soft. The photo shows flashlights that have been used for a while. An ordinary dishwashing sponge will already give it scratches (her tough side).
1648767547903.png

The dremel has too high speed, you can get quite uneven pits. Can use a cordless drill, they have very good speed controls with slow rotation with a flashlight holder by first removing all the intestines from it, I did this for polishing another flashlight. I needed 1 stud with a diameter of 12 mm, which went through the lantern, 2 pieces of rubber or leather to press the lantern with nuts without scratching the ends, well, the video has a rather high speed, with a cordless drill can do it slowly