Mini Mag 2AA upgrades and mods

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fellas,

Infrequent lurker, first time poster. :) I've come across this forum on several occasions, mainly while searching via google. I've found there to be an overwhelming amount information, but somewhat older. I was hoping some of you might be able to point in a good direction. I've spent some time searching through the forum, but I end up second guessing myself with everything that's out there. Here's the brief story.

I have a couple older MM 2AA's that I love. I know there are newer better options out there, but i'm stubborn and want to get the most out of the mags that i can. I've been comparing the Niteeyes and terralux options and everytime I think the terralux is the better option, I end up second guessing it. Sounds like there might be some other options? or some custom options to pursue as well? I don't want want to spend a fortune, but I don't mind putting a little in to get these upgraded.

The info that i've been finding seems to be mostly from 2007 -2008 or so. I figure there's got to be newer/better options? Maybe not, but what have you all done recently? I also have a Mag 3D i'll be looking to upgrade eventually as well.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to the original incan, the Niteize and Terralux are better, but still weaksauce compared to what CPF'ers can do.

The only thing that's really changed sinze 2007-2008 is the available emitters. Efficiency has increased.

In that sense, you could say that it's just like those years but slightly better with what we've got now.

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
but still weaksauce compared to what CPF'ers can do.[/QUOTE said:
Generally? or specific people? I'm quite handy and with a background many years ago in electronics I'm sure I could handle most stuff.. I just wouldn't know where to start these days. From what I can tell a lot of the leg work has already been put it, I'd really not like to reinvent the wheel.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh. Well, then... dig right in, sir! :)

You want it dim and long running?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?345695-Mini-Mag-Lite-Forever-LED-mod

You want it a blaster with no runtime?
Get an AA battery spacer, load with a 14500 lithium-ion, get some Carclo triple optics that fit the head (I have some, forget what model #) and a 3 up star with LED of your choice. You'll have to get creative in trimming the star as most won't fit inside the minimag head. This would be a direct drive build, you probably would add a smallish resistor between the battery and LED star... you might not have to. You'll have to remove the anodizing on the nose of the maglite body where you removed the old bulb holder. This makes the maglite "tighten to turn on." Note that this stuff actually fits inside the head! :) You'll have to trim the star that you get with the holes to be compatible with the carclo triple optics that fit the head.

Some take the next step and cut the Minimag down for a single cell shorty.

Note that doing this removes alkaline and NiMH compatibility, the other downside is you lose focus but now you have a triple BLASTER. :)

It's the same tricks from 2007-2008, just that you'd be using some new version of LED like XPL HI, XP-G2, etc.

The big problem is that there really isn't room for a driver to speak of.

Might also do a web search for Match's Mods 15min minimag. He hacks a P60 base in there, but you must bore the head... that's the only trick to it really. The first two things I mentioned don't involve this and I don't have that drill bit size. Got a lathe though, but I'm crap on it.

Does a P60 host Minimag sounds nice? I think it does.

Something else you could do is get one of those Niteize or Terralux dropins and try your hand at modding it. A lot of those dropins are single mode/limit resistor so it's only changing out a resistor. Those don't ship with very good leds in them, but you can fix that! :)

Last edited:

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh so now i see how you all get so addicted. :twothumbs. You've got my brain churning... the link is quite intriguing. At first look i was like waaaa... wtf? after a read and another look. Its an interesting thought. You've got me thinking about scratching the terralux(which was going to be the ticket), and moving toward the P60 option. My Drill press might come in handy! I'll need to do some research and planning first.

I guess this isn't going to be as quick as i thought lol

Thanks for the tips!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
NP, friend. Post pics! :)

I'm sure someone else will chime in with something.

Beauty of the P60 mod is that you can now just simply swap the P60 and keep trucking! The reflector screws off of the P60 pill and now you've got a P60 host.

Great stuff, I love it!

OP, you'll likely find that you're going to need more than one modded minimag. :)

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my MiniMag posts...

017e2s800_zps44dedfe0.jpg

Encore une fois

008e2s800_zpsb0372dd1.jpg

One of a kind MiniMag

044es_zpsc78e6105.jpg

MiniMag 1AA/2AA Tri-XPE

050es_zps32951d7b.jpg

Old MiniMag put back to life

Some of them I even never posted.
:p

Last edited:

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Re: Some of my MiniMag posts...

For a few dollars you can get a light off eBay that uses a simple boost driver to deliver ~750mA to an led from 2xAA. The lights are junk but have threaded pills so the driver is easily removed and is small enough to fit in the MM. Search AA Xpe torch.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Some of my MiniMag posts...

By the way, in the meantime I made a few more (different) Minimag mods but didn't post them yet. :)