Mods to Thrunite TN12 (2014), for improved usability

FLenthusiast

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the ThruNite TN12 (2014 Edition) on Amazon. It seems well made, but I encountered three usability problems. Rather than return the flashlight, I made a couple modifications to fix these problems, and they are described below. I'm not super knowledgeable about flashlights, so any corrections or improvements regarding my post here are most appreciated.

I bought the Thrunite to replace my old Surefire Z2, a Cadillac of flashlights, but at only 65 lumen it's pitifully weak by modern standards. I didn't want to pay Surefire prices again, so I got this Thrulite after doing some research.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1WVRBK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

My modifications to the Thrunite make its usability about as good as the Surefire Z2's, for my use. If you're expecting Surefire-like usability, I wouldn't recommend this Thrunite without those modifications. However, I think the usability problems I encountered will not be significant for most people, and for them, this Thrunite would still be a good choice, even without the modifications.

The problems and fixes:

1) The on/off switch is uncomfortable to use:
The on/off switch is on the tail-piece. It can be clicked on and off, or partially depressed to be momentarily-on. The switch-button is recessed within a metal rim on the end of the tail-piece. The problem is that the button is too recessed. Also, the metal rim's edges are not rounded, and somewhat sharp. Pressing the button is difficult, and it's uncomfortable on my thumb, especially for momentarily-on.

2) Accessing the on/off switch requires rotating the flashlight:
That metal rim on the tail piece includes two raised guards which further protect the switch-button. To press the button you have to put your thumb between the two guards. So, using the flashlight requires rotating the flashlight to line-up your thumb. If you need your flashlight quickly, that takes too much time and attention.

I fixed both problems via some minor metal-work on the tail-piece. First, I removed the switch-button to avoid damaging it. A round plate in the tail-piece has to be unscrewed. There's two small holes that allow the plate to the be turned (e.g., using needle-nose or split-ring pliers), and the plate has reverse threads.

On the tail-piece I cut-off the guards by using a Dremel and its cut-off wheel. Then I used a 1" belt sander to further grind-down the metal rim around the button, so the button is not as recessed. Next, I used a Dremel and its sandpaper-wheel to round the rim's inside and outside edges, so they are not sharp.

3) The flashlight is too thin to be gripped strongly:
In comparison, my Surefire flashlight has a great shape for gripping it strongly.

I fixed this problem by using a part from my Surefire Z2. The Surefire's great grip is due to 3 rubber grip-rings. They can be removed, and they fit well on the Thrunite. Unfortunately, it appears the Surefire grip-rings are not sold anywhere, and part of the reason may be that they are patented. (Surefire has "Combat Rings" for sale, but they are not the same as the "grip rings".)

Of course, most people don't have spare Surefire grip-rings. I think the Thrunite's grip might otherwise be improved by using grip-tape. The tape is applied where one's ring and middle fingers wrap around the flashlight. After removing my Surefire's grip-rings, I put hockey-stick tape on the Surefire. The tape improved the grip, but stickier grip-tape would be better.

Post Script:
The modifications I made had some unintended consequences:
a) The guards on the tail-piece have holes in them. Those holes are used for attaching the lanyard that comes with the flashlight. In removing the guards, there's no place to attach that lanyard.
b) The Surefire grips prevent use of the pocket-clip that comes with the flashlight.
c) The flashlight comes with a carry pouch. The Surefire grips make it difficult to insert the flashlight in the pouch.

Update:
Added a pic to the post--thanks to DrafterDan and Norm.

Last edited:

Latest posts