My Most Used Malkoff | Malkoff Lego Lights

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Like the rest of you, I am an extreme flashlight nerd. My approach to light selection is very purpose driven, which leads to different lights for different purposes. What follows is a list of my most commonly used lights and why they have been selected.

At the top of the list as the most used is the take-the-dogs-out light. Living in NH with our 100' X 100' back yard surrounded with thick woods populated with a variety of wildlife (deer, black bear, coyote and the usual selection of small mammals), my primary need is to be able to see any nearby critters by reflection from the eyes. Deer pose no threat, but the dogs would chase them off into the woods if given the opportunity. Bear do pose a threat, a few weeks ago my wife made the mistake of leaving an open bag of sunflower seed on our screened-in porch and a bear destroyed the screen door getting to it. Black bear sightings are common in our neighborhood.

My take-the-dogs-out light is a Malkoff E2 Super head on a LF E2 Classic Gen 1, 2 Cell Flashlight Body powered by an Orbtronic 18650 protected cell. The E2S casts a wide beam with a generous hot spot, making it ideal for this use. This Lego is compact, lightweight and easy to hold in the hand. The E2S 850 lumen rating is true, but I measure only 8,500 lux with my meter making it identical to the M91B, but with a broader, cleaner beam;

store-18650-large-3.jpg

Next most used is my walking light, consisting of a M91T with high/low switch, MD3 body and a LF SW01 Skinny (aka UM00) Tritium Slotted Momentary Tailcap, powered by a pair of Panasonic NCR 18500A flat top cells. Since I get up early and take my walk before breakfast, it's usually dark when I do so - even in the summer. I find the 19k candela wide hot spot beam to be perfect for seeing down the road while providing an extremely wide albeit low-lumen spill. I typically use only the low setting which is adequate in most cases, switching to high if I think Mr. Bear might be around looking for another bag of sunflower seed;

m91tmd3-1.jpg

Coming in third is my night stand light, which is a M91B with high/low switch, MD2 body with a flat top 18650, the LF SW01 Skinny (aka UM00) Tritium Slotted Momentary Tailcap with green tritium insert and LF GITD grip ring. The tritium insert and GITD grip ring make finding the light easy in the dark, and the broader beam of the M91B is ideal for inside-the-house use. The low setting is perfect for checking on minor concerns in the middle of the night with dark-adapted vision, the 650 lumen (on a single Li-ion cell) high setting for more pressing concerns;

m91bmd2-1.jpg

Then there are the EDC lights, which are always on my person when I'm not in bed. Since I've been a longtime student of self defense and the tools that empower it, I carry a light on my belt that is specifically for this purpose, and this purpose only. It consists of a E2XTD head on an Oveready E35 body with a LF Z14, Z31 Style Momentary Tailcap, carried in a custom made belt carrier. The light is compact and lightweight, yet it's narrow 70,000 candela retina-searing beam is easy to direct and align with sights using a syringe grip. It totally disappears on the belt from both a concealment and carry comfort standpoint, while remaining both secure and quickly accessible;

HBC-3.jpg

HBC-4.jpg

My second EDC light is not a Makoff at all, but its wide, easy-on-the-eyes flood beam with bezel high/low switch, along with its compact size and light weight makes it the perfect general use EDC light for me. This Surefire E2T-MV Tactician has been upgraded with an E2T clicky tailcap and rides comfortably in a front pocket;

e2t-mv-4.jpg

These are my go-to lights, please feel free to share yours!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2 with M61T. For years now.
450 lumens IIRC and 12K lux. The higher lux makes it seem brighter than M61 whereas the total lumens are actually the same.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep the M61T is a great head. When compared to the M61SHO the SHO wins. Must brighter spill and throw is basically the same.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Yep the M61T is a great head. When compared to the M61SHO the SHO wins. Must brighter spill and throw is basically the same.

Yes, agreed. Since neither are going to win any white wall beauty contests, the greater output of the SHO leaves the M61T relevant only to those who want some throw in a low current draw module.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes but no. The extra lumens come at the price of higher consumption. Roughly twice the drain. 2Amps if I recall correctly.

I like M61T for general purpose, especially outdoors, (it has a beautiful tint) M61 for generic indoors and M91T when I need a bit more punch outside.
When that's not adequate, I have the Hound Dog and then the Hound Dog Super.

M61SHO would be redundant in the above scheme but if I did not have M61T and M61 and M91T, I would probably run M61SHO in the low mode for general purpose mode and high for everything else, it's kind of a replacement for all three.

Lux matters as much as lumens, I like 11-12K for general purpose.

That's what SHO does better than regular M61, which has only 8500 lux IIRC which is weak outdoors. Above 10K it begins to focus and have more reach.