Need a Non-Conductive Work Light

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a variety of single 18650 lights for my job. Lights such as Zebralight sc64 or Sofirn SC31pro. The combination of compact size, bright high and usable medium settings with long run-times has been great. But, my plant manager is now talking about forcing everyone to use some type of "plastic" light that will be non-conductive. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that is non conductive an comes anywhere close to the lights I mentioned? I know the plastic lights don't dissipate heat as well so they can't be as bright. I'm just hoping something will come close.

Thanks

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just need a non conductive light, a Nitecore UT27 will do okay. If you need one rated for explosive environments, Princeton Tec Eos (300 lumens, Class 1 Division 2 rated) or and Eos II (170 lumens, Class 1 Division 1 rated) will work.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
would your boss tolerate a taped light? how about a few layers of electrical tape over the whole thing? you can tape the cap separately or just cut a slit. not ideal for thermal performance, but if you don't want to buy another light, or if you really like what you already have...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Streamlight PolyTac X, which runs on a 18650 and produces 600 lumens on high or their PolyTac HP flashlight.

They also have a range of HAZ-LO lights.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/product-series/haz-lo
That's one reason (among several) that I got a PolyTac X (industrial electronic / electrical work). Ditch the metal clip, and I've got a light I can feel pretty good with in electrical equipment surroundings, and it gives up little in performance to my other metal tube lights, so no real sacrifice. EHS can still bust me if I'm in an area that should be locked out and isn't, but at least they can't bust me for using a metal light to boot. I feel better with the PT-X even if I'm not around things that are known to be hot - just an extra level of comfort. If not holster carried and I needed a non-metallic clip instead, SL has a lot of choices in Haz-Lo, Dualie, Propolymer lines, but many of those probably don't have the performance of the PT-X, and in my environment(s), I really need that performance most of the time. I recently noticed a new Dualie w/ Color-Rite (enhanced CRI) that would be nice when dealing with color codes, although it's not a real powerhouse that has the reach I need otherwise, so I'd still want the PT-X around for many situations.

Last edited:

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
For panel and control wiring inspections and troubleshooting I like to use the Underwater Kinetics brand. The manufacturer produces many intrinsically safe and Div 2 lights. One of my favorites is the UK 2AA ELED Z2. It usually fits in the arm pocket of many flame resistant coveralls and Nomex work jackets.

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't your employer supply the tools you need? Or are you in a position to offer guidance?

Pelican has lots of poly lights. https://brightguy.com/shop/pelican/

They do provide some crappy lights but many of us either use a company credit card to order better lights or bring our own from home. They are talking about cracking down on both the use of company funds to order expensive lights and the use of conductive lights. If I can find a good light for a reasonable price there is a chance I can influence what lights the company provides. If not, I will likely get myself one anyway because I hate being in a dark industrial environment without a decent light.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There are some better choices than when I looked before. The streamlight polytac X seems like a good option for me. It's a step back from what I use now but not a huge one.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do provide some crappy lights but many of us either use a company credit card to order better lights or bring our own from home. They are talking about cracking down on both the use of company funds to order expensive lights and the use of conductive lights. If I can find a good light for a reasonable price there is a chance I can influence what lights the company provides. If not, I will likely get myself one anyway because I hate being in a dark industrial environment without a decent light.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There are some better choices than when I looked before. The streamlight polytac X seems like a good option for me. It's a step back from what I use now but not a huge one.
Works for me. It's <$50USD all-in, has Ten-Tap options, a tempered glass lens, is "Assembled in U.S.A.", and perhaps most important to me in my environment, it has a 3-meter ANSI FL1 impact rating (which in case you're unfamiliar with that is a very high rating). Only thing I might do differently is to go with the Coyote Tan or Yellow instead of the black one I got, because it's not easy to tell this one isn't anodized aluminum just from appearance / feel.

EDIT: BTW, per FL1, the output specs you see are using the Streamlight 18650 cell, which while hi quality, is only 2600 mAh. It can use other 'standard' button-top 18650s though, so using say 34-3500 mAh cells obviously extends those run time specs. I often use (for example) a very similar Fenix 3500 mAh cell w/USB charging for that reason.

Last edited: