New G-E household LED claims 97 CRI

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Looks at the 60W incandescent equivalent Philips 'alien head' sitting on the desk rated at 12.5W)

Yeah, probably something to do with heat dissipation.
With this new level of efficiency/efficacy I think nearly not so much heatsinking would be necessary. Anyway, how does one heatsink filaments effectively? Thermal path from the bottom to base does not look good, and from the top, not good at all.

So what is the primary cooling mechanism? I found one smaller A15 60W eq. (7W) filament bulb uniformly warm across the glass bulb after being on for an hour or so. Somewhere I recall hearing about convection inside the bulb transferring heat to the envelope, which seems to fit.

I kept an original 60W "alien head" bulb using blue LEDs, and later 75W version using white LEDs. Those required big heatsinks as majority of power was going into heat. They are exceptionally well built, but heavy, large, and expensive at the time.

I saw the 2700K Philips bulb on Amazon Canada for around CDN$30, too steep for me.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually I can aim a blue or UV LED into an LED's globe and see some fluorescence coming back from the phosphors. Not this time. The globe itself had a little bit of blue fluorescence but absolutely no phosphor glow, which makes me suspect that there's some UV blocking going on. :unsure:
As the excitation is violet (doubt very much that it is "purple" R+B), can you try a violet LED e.g. 420nm from outside? You may be right, glass may block it from escaping. Violet is not quite UV but probably not good on the eyes if it gets out.

Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
As the excitation is violet (doubt very much that it is "purple" R+B), can you try a violet LED e.g. 420nm from outside? You may be right, glass may block it from escaping. Violet is not quite UV but probably not good on the eyes if it gets out.

Dave
I have a violet laser - I will try that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
With this new level of efficiency/efficacy I think nearly not so much heatsinking would be necessary. Anyway, how does one heatsink filaments effectively? Thermal path from the bottom to base does not look good, and from the top, not good at all.
Glancing at Seoul's website, the SunLike series is all COB. This fits with the ice cream cone formfactor. Whatever heat sinking exists within is probably a heat spreader to ... however the likely plastic base manages to convect heat away. Judging by the recent-ish GE bulbs I've had with seemingly plastic bases that get almost burning hot the material is surprisingly effective in this role.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Glancing at Seoul's website, the SunLike series is all COB. This fits with the ice cream cone formfactor. Whatever heat sinking exists within is probably a heat spreader to ... however the likely plastic base manages to convect heat away. Judging by the recent-ish GE bulbs I've had with seemingly plastic bases that get almost burning hot the material is surprisingly effective in this role.
Great find, IdleProcess. Thanks.