Oddification #1: Converted PC Case Into Horticultural Box

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Looks like this section would be the spot to post about my "oddifications" as I like to call them.

So here's the first one I would like to introduce to this place: The HortiBox.

I have gutted an old, large A/V computer workstation case. Took a Dremel to it and removed the hard drive bay section, then coated the inside with Chromalux paper. Made a few holes, ran air tubing, fan wiring, etc out the back of the case. Fan powered by a wall wart from RadioShack. Air Pump has own power cord. I will put a 50w LED panel of my design in the case to finish it up, as there is just barely over 1 square foot of floor space, anything more is just excessive.

XjSpv.jpg

I think I'm going to remove the driver box from the LED panel when I get it in the mail, and make it external, so I get extra space.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Very inventive. Just perfect for that stealth "herb" garden. :naughty:

Geoff

Well, in my case, I'm a legal Prop215/SB420 patient, so stealth is really no concern. Especially given a recent CA Supreme Court ruling stating a limit to the amount of plants a patient could have was unconstitutional. As long as I don't go making huge amounts and then selling it (which I do neither of, I make my money designing custom lighting solutions for horticultural corps across the globe,) then I have nothing to worry about.

And yes, I do plan on growing the herb in here, but more for the fact that it is an easier environment to control and thus makes a much more suitable test environment for my new panels that should be coming in at the beginning of next month. I've already got plenty of 'legitimate' data from my basil plants, and jade plants, so now it's time for me to capture the interest of the other side of the market. In reality, the herb is a 'holy grail' plant when it comes to testing horticultural lighting, as it is one of the most demanding plants light-wise, mainly because of the thick canopy it produces. If my lights do that well, then they'll do tomatoes, strawberries, everything without any problems.

Let's just hope I've calculated my insolation ratios properly so these panels kick the tar out of all these red-dominant panels - some guys are getting smart and releasing pure blue panels to make up for their poorly-planned shortcomings that are damaging the LED horticultural market, and the LED market in general. :(