One of a kind light destroyed. A "tail" of woe.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
She did it again. About ready to make a roast out of this dog.

IMG_4709.jpg

"Ruff"ly 13 years ago or thereabouts, I bought a modded Eneloopy from a well known member here, highly respected for his modding skills. He converted it from a battery tester to a Joule Thief.

Super cute, and amazingly effective, it was the number one light that got me through two weeks of no power after Hurricane Sandy. I have a great amount of fondness and sentimental value for this light, and am very sad to no longer have it. Well, I do still have it, except now it looks like this.

IMG-1659.jpg

As you can see, there's nothing salvageable. Went to the store for 30 minutes, and she was not left alone. I made the mistake of leaving an open box of lights on my bed, with my beloved Eneloopy easy to grab. This is not the first time she's destroyed irreplaceable lights. First time was an Icon Irix headlamp, which I made a post about sometime last year. Can't get those any more. A few weeks ago, she chewed a couple CPF labeled Safelights that were within snout's reach. Can't get those either. Fortunately, I have a couple more stashed away.

IMG-1661.jpg

IMG-1660.jpg

The moral of the story is to not make these mistakes again, ever. Tough to do when you're human, and your dog's mission is to destroy things.

I'll be making a WTB post for an Eneloopy. If I'm lucky enough to acquire one, that will be a start. Then I can plan modding it into another Joule Thief.

I love my dog beyond words, but sometimes wonder how she'd taste with potatoes and carrots.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your dog is so special, and so loving to share a keen interest in what you value. Now it is time for you to make bite-sized, something she adores, maybe?

Thanks so much for your account and images! Who knew there even was an Eneloopy or a CPF Safelight?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the following on eBay...
I was looking at those last night, but have a number of questions about them that makes me wonder if they're cheap knockoffs.

Looking into some Eneloopy history, it seems I had the old Chinese version (instead of the Japanese) where the screw ends are exposed, making it easy to take apart. In other versions it is claimed the screw ends were capped off with plastic, but I have no idea if that's true or if the parts were just glued. Glue in any version would make disassembly without breakage a lot harder.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your dog is so special, and so loving to share a keen interest in what you value. Now it is time for you to make bite-sized, something she adores, maybe?

Thanks so much for your account and images! Who knew there even was an Eneloopy or a CPF Safelight?
LOL! I didn't think of it that way! Now I have to make a Kong toy flashlight mod just for her. :yellowlaugh:

Glad I could illuminate some rare flashlight history. Definitely interesting and cool stuff.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son said "dad, my dog ate my wallet" I said "and how did your dog get to your wallet?"

Now my wife has friend with a Dane that keeps taking stuff off of the top of the refrigerator.....
It's a bit tough with this one. She's smart, very athletic, and highly determined. It's strange, but she likes to go after plastics and electronics. This episode was my mistake, and will continue to work on it.

I love Great Danes. Such friendly, playful pooches.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights can be replaced. Appears your dog is family, not just a guard dog, correct?

I owned the same breed about 40yrs ago, an American Staffordshire mix. Mine was a rescue, approximately 2yo when received him. He immediately bonded with me. Although very friendly with my family, the dog never left my side.

She looks fairly young? The breed is intelligent, tho can be over zealous, and extremely headstrong. Took mine a few years to learn his limitations.

Kong toy is a great idea. Gets rid of energy, and saves their teeth from getting destroyed. I would fill with lil peanut butter and freeze. Keeps them occupied for awhile..

Btw, I'd stay away from dried rawhide. Most of that junk is imported from Timbuktu. And, even if labeled USA origin, the stuff can mess up their intestines trying to pass the cr@p out..

Hope this helps

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights can be replaced. Appears your dog is family, not just a guard dog, correct?
She became family the moment we adopted her at 6 months old. From day one, I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world. She'll be two in a couple months, and is the love of my life.

She's half Lab, and allegedly half Australian Cattle Dog according to the adoption agency that sold her to her first family. Though she definitely shows some cattle dog behavior, I suspect there's also some percentage of Staffie or something in there. For a 51 Lb. dog, she's strong AF! Stamina to the point of being nuclear powered, and a curious troublemaker. Equally matching her being a bad girl (lol) is she's a total sweetie, loves all people and all dogs, and is the best snugglebunny in bed one could ask for.

Agreed on the rawhide.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see in her eyes that she has it going on; very aware with definite opinions. A few years and lots of modeling (guidance without too much forcing) ideally will allow you to be not quite so careful as you need to be now with precious irreplaceables. Looks like she needs plenty of action.

Sitting on that chair; was that her idea or a photo choice of yours? Looks like she expects respect from others and you honor that? I totally believe that she may not have any Staffordshire variant in her blood.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
She does have those big brown lab eyes and her coat speckled like an Aussie.

Reminds me of a Staffie once knew, best watch dog in the neighborhood. He would sit, watch and wait for intruders to get within his grasp.
IMG_20230308_122405~2.jpg

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see in her eyes that she has it going on; very aware with definite opinions. A few years and lots of modeling (guidance without too much forcing) ideally will allow you to be not quite so careful as you need to be now with precious irreplaceables. Looks like she needs plenty of action.

Sitting on that chair; was that her idea or a photo choice of yours? Looks like she expects respect from others and you honor that? I totally believe that she may not have any Staffordshire variant in her blood.
Oh, yes... she's definitely got it going on! Super aware, and the opinions are hysterical. The front paw stomping, and howling in complaint makes us laugh every time. We'll see how the training goes!... LOL! She absolutely needs plenty of action. I do my best in the back yard, and taking her to play with her best friend, a young male Lab who's twice her size and weight. She tires us all out.

The chair thing is all her. It's part of her charm and personality, so we take pics. As for respect, she chooses not to follow some rules, but she knows when she's doing something bad, and we're working on that. I know what you mean about guidance without too much forcing. It'll be a long process with this one!

You may be correct about no Staffie. It's hard to tell. Certain things about her snout, ears, and strength make me wonder though.