Pandemic Mental Health - How YOU doin'?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think that drivers got used to going at "Covid speed" during the lockdown because traffic was so light at the time. I've noticed that highway traffic has been going faster than pre-Covid times ever since.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I can't say that I see a difference between driver's habits of before covid, and after. Perhaps it is because in my neck of the woods, traffic has always been heavy, and there has always been those drivers, who weave in and out of one lane or the other in an attempt to get there faster. I suppose, for some it is the exhilaration of pretending to be Mario Andretti.

35 years ago, I hated driving on the Garden State Parkway, to and from the shore due to the congestion of the highway. People would do their darndest to maintain 60 mph even if it meant that they would be tailgating all the way up, only 20 feet behind the car in front of them. Note: it should be at least 60 feet. Things have not changed in that regard.

I do have to agree that more often than before, I'll see what appears to be two cars racing each other in traffic, each swerving from lane to lane to gain an extra car length.

For me, pre-pandemic/post-pandemic, I drive with the flow of traffic, and maintain a good buffer of distance between me and the car in front of me. If the idiot behind me is tailgating me, I hold back further for a larger/longer buffer. A number of times, that extra buffer has kept me from getting rear-ended when traffic ahead came to a sudden stop.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One of my coworkers came off of night shift today and first thing he said to me was "is it me or are people driving more frantic lately?" The other coworker spoke up and said "they're driving like they're heads are on fire and they're @$$'s is catchin' lately".

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i was homless i took a job for under minium wage. it was way better then having to ask for help.btw worse job ever heavy heavy antques moving .

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think that drivers got used to going at "Covid speed" during the lockdown because traffic was so light at the time. I've noticed that highway traffic has been going faster than pre-Covid times ever since.
Only in my neck of the woods.... Haven't noticed a difference. Then again, most drivers in NYC drive like either idiots or the most self-centered jerks in the world. Take your pick. Always been that way. The last idiot I encountered was one of those who thinks the proper way to use a turn signal is to flick it, and then instantly jump into the other lane. Don't bother looking. Ironically, I wasn't as upset as I'd usually be. He's driving a Nissan. I recognized the model and the trim level was shown on the back. Once he goes over 40K miles that garbage Jatco CVT in it is going to fall apart. Judging by the looks of his vehicle, state it was in, he couldn't afford a hot-dog. Much less a tranny replacement.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Then again, most drivers in NYC drive like either idiots or the most self-centered jerks in the world. Take your pick. Always been that way.
As a cyclist and a pedestrian I get a first-hand look at the awful driving habits here. Honestly, the term sociopathic best fits a lot of the driving I see. I especially hate the lane-jockeying to gain a few places at the next red light. Not to mention regularly using bike lanes, sometimes even sidewalks, to pass stuck traffic.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I would like to know how Greta's doing....it's been a minute since I've seen a post of hers.

She got out of the cult and is in deprogramming. They are starting with a kiddie brightstar and going from there.

1659582771260.png