Penlight to fit in my overall bib.

DWSmith

Newly Enlightened
Need a penlight to keep handy (EDC) for looking at equipment within about 2 feet; engines, brakes, shocks, fuel tanks, etc. Needs to fit in the pen pocket of my overall bibs. Want non-rechargeable.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

LEDphile

Enlightened
Most 2x AAA lights will work for this - I'm generally a fan of the 2x AAA MiniMaglites, but for close-up work, the beam may be a bit narrow.

As brother LEDphile noted above, just about any 2xAAA light from a reliable manufacturer will work. That noted, you might give some thought to at least considering the 2xAAA Mini Maglite. It has the virtue of a relatively high candela hotspot (useful when used during daylight hours). The light is also relatively inexpensive.

Also, if your pen pocket is big enough, you might consider a 2xAA light. Longer runtimes, and higher output. See for example:

ACEBEAM Pokelit 2AA. 600 Lumens max output, 519A LED.

Maglite 2xAA Mini Pro (the 332 lumen version).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF DW.

Another vote for the LED aaa minimag. Stylus pro is good too, especially one handed. The minimag on/off is a twist head, Stylus pro a tailcap clicky.

If you go with the Stylus pro, take a hole puncher to a plastic card like those ones that litter your wallet, punch a hole, keep the coupon (the plastic from the hole), pull the rubber boot off the tailcap, stick the coupon in it, put it back (using needle nose pliers to stuff the edges back in). You'll find the tailcap a lot easier to press with a lot less travel to click to on/off.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF DW.

Another vote for the LED aaa minimag. Stylus pro is good too, especially one handed. The minimag on/off is a twist head, Stylus pro a tailcap clicky.

If you go with the Stylus pro, take a hole puncher to a plastic card like those ones that litter your wallet, punch a hole, keep the coupon (the plastic from the hole), pull the rubber boot off the tailcap, stick the coupon in it, put it back (using needle nose pliers to stuff the edges back in). You'll find the tailcap a lot easier to press with a lot less travel to click to on/off.
I do the same but I use a small round of bike inner tube. Keeps the soft rubber feel but makes it way easier to click.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For close-up work, my go-to is my Powertac Sabre 2AAA LED penlight.
Though fair warning, it is hella bright and always comes on in the highest setting, first. But I'm getting older, so it works well for me in that role.

DWSmith

Newly Enlightened
Let us know what you go with please
My bibs have a wide pocket on each side with a pen/pencil pocket in the middle. I keep my cell phone in the left pocket and my reading glasses in the right pocket but I don't always carry my reading glasses.

When I carry my reading glasses I've been putting my Solitaire in the middle pocket head first with the little strap hanging out so I can easily retrieve it. When I don't carry my reading glasses I put a mini Maglite in the right pocket head first with the wrist strap hanging out for easy retrieval.

A light with the switch on the end would be a bit more convenient but if I have to focus the beam I'd lose that advantage.

If they made a Solitaire with 2xAAA batteries it would be nice with its slender profile at the head but the little 1xAAA Solitaire is currently doing the job quite well so perhaps I'll just make do with it.

I'm still looking but not in a hurry.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Have you considered the triple a minimag?

Also Husky has a twist focus rechargeable that can use alkalines too. It has a memory to turn on at the last setting you used.
IMG_1373.png

Home depot sells these.
Not sure if your wrist strap idea can be done with this one though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So many straight-bodied 2AAA penlights out there.
I EDC a Powertac Sabre as my back-up light.
Slight swell of the head but basically straight, Pelican 1920.
Klarus P20 is another example. (But not reliable with certain 2AAA rechargeable cells.)

Home Depot at their Brick & Mortar store locations has straight-bodied Coast penlights. Not the most powerful but they work.

Another light for your consideration is the Milwaukee 2xAAA straight barrel penlight. About $20 retail. Neutral white emitter with good CRI. Single mode only, at 100 lumens for about three hours using alkaline cells; longer with lithium primary cells. Mine performs better using 1.5v lithium rechargeable cells than when using Eneloops. On Eneloops the light produces only about 80 lumens, but 100+ when using XTAR 1.5v lithium rechargeable cells. (I have no other comparison to offer, but others' experience with his light may be informative.)

The light has a strong clip, and a firm tailcap button; it won't turn on by accident. The button protrudes so no ability to tail stand unaided.

It's worth a look.