Phone battery balloned without any use!

BronzeLincolns

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the heads up.

i just now pulled the battery out of my old cell phone and out of the flashlight i don't plan on using much.

radiopej

Enlightened
Howdy,

I just noticed my phone's battery has swollen from about 6mm to 4 cm. It's Li-ion.

It was in a pile of batteries and work destined to go to battery recycling.

I don't want to just throw it in normal bins, as it looks ready to explode. I've currently put it into a Styrofoam container with lots of soft stuff to cushion it (or fuel, really). Cheers.

Traxxx

Newly Enlightened
The battery is dead and unusable. Dispose it properly in a designated electronics disposal area. You'll be doing the environment a favor.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Li-ion cells are indeed unusual animals - for longer term storage, they prefer to be left charged at 40% (+/- 5%), not lower, nor higher. Lithium Polymer (pouch cell) batteries won't even last without being used and recharged repeatedly, due to the property of electrolyte gels, they do indeed have somewhat higher resistance compared to the Anode alloy oxide electrode and Cathode electrode.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Candlepowerforums mobile app

RCM

Enlightened
So..lithium polymer cells have a different electrolyte compared to li-ion or am I just getting confused? I know for a fact that li-ion cells once they leave the factory they are already degrading. Don't remember who I heard that from. But yes, li-ion and lithium polymer cells can be very strange..and also very dangerous if abused!
(Ot) it seems we have the same phone :p
Sent from my XT907 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Sent from my XT907 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Slightly different electrolyte formula, with one exception: Lithium Fluoride, which is the activation agent, and a surplus of Lithium throughout normal life expectancy of Li-ion batteries in use. Yup, they start dying slowly once activated in the factory - it's the internal resistance, or at least the fluorinating agent in the electrolyte.

And yup, we both have the same phone.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Yep, they're pretty nasty when heated. However, it's more of a necessary evil (in the form of surplus of Lithium to replace those absorbed by Anode alloy oxide electrode layers). Hydrofluoric Acid is extremely nasty, thus I am always careful of the bare batteries I have laying around (I am more of a smartphone hacker, and an electrical engineer which may explain why I have couple of batteries around).

RCM

Enlightened
I'm an electronic hobbyist, and repair TVs for people in my spare time..I have a bunch of batteries around too lol

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Same here, I usually fix electronics on my free time, sometimes without expecting any money, unless it's to pay for the parts to replace.

Last edited:

battery_bro

Newly Enlightened
They lose voltage every day, you have to keep them above 3.8V optimally at all times for best storage (after the initial charge). Wholesale battery suppliers, factories, etc. sell them at 40% charge because they last longest like this in phase 1. After first charge, the battery is in phase 2 and should never go that low again. Next time you have to maintain the charge every now and then. You also can't drip constant current, so the only thing to do is recharge every few months. Also keep in mind they are probably rated for 500 cycles.

derek10

Newly Enlightened
After this now I store batteries out of their phones so if they ballon then won't destroy the phone .

I have an old LG phone (a flip one, old) and no use so I've fully charged it then took the battery out and stored separateluy.

I have a old retired Galaxy Mini but I still use it occasionally for music, Internet and Android learning and testing, so in this case the battery is always full.

And I would reuse old phone/laptop batteries in good condition to make, a for example, a universal portable phone charger...

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still have my last phone (5 or 6 years old), and it still works (vintage flip phone). I check it's charge every 3-6 months, charge it up, then turn it off. Dial tone and everything.

A trick I learned from my Dad, I log the date of charge, or when new batteries were put in to electronic devices. A sticky within the battery compartment for the throw aways, or an old envelope to list charge dates.

Last edited: