Plastic gland connector and deep rating

Benoit

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Im still working (indeed very slowly) at a twin 3X XML flood light setup for a Gopro.

Im working on a tight budget and need to put the cost down and can't afford the ultimate salvo gland connector.

Does the plastic ebay will do the trick for under 100ft ?

I don't plan going deeper then 100-120ft.

jspeybro

Enlightened
Pakhorse and several others here have used them without problems. check the link for some examples. I can imagine there are quality differences so you probably don't want the absolute cheapest ones.

Johan

Klem

Enlightened
Plastic's fine. I've been using both metal and plastic for years. Nowadays I back up the gland with a thick wad of polyeurathane glue (Sikaflex 291 Marine) around the cable. They've never leaked.

I tie a cable-tie near the end to take as much potential compression out of the cable then coat that part with a wad of polyeurathane (Sikaflex 291 Marine). Then pull it out so it comes up hard against the inside of the gland for extra strain relief. The glue displaces around the inside of the gland mouth and then you do it up tight. May as well make the gland seal permanent as this is not going to be your service access seal.

If you're not going to use glue and cable-tie as a back-up then you surely need to do that gland up extra tight in order to take the compression out of the flexible cable you use...because if you don't, water pressure at depth will.

One technical thought here, when you pull apart both plastic and metal glands the metal variety come apart in three parts whereas the plastic only two. There's one less seam to secure in plastic with the solid metal perhaps giving a false sense of security.

Like I say, I use both and in my experience they both work.

SemiMan

Banned
Hi,

Im still working (indeed very slowly) at a twin 3X XML flood light setup for a Gopro.

Im working on a tight budget and need to put the cost down and can't afford the ultimate salvo gland connector.

Does the plastic ebay will do the trick for under 100ft ?

I don't plan going deeper then 100-120ft.

Don't buy anything you really need to trust from Ebay. Buy a name brand product from a recognized distributor so at least you know what you are getting and can research the specifications.

Semiman