Please help me explain what's the different between these two reflectors ?

Minos2014

Newly Enlightened
Hello . My friend .

I have no idea why there are two different reflector on the dive lights ? See below pic.

3_zpsdxlhikyc.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
Above two are plastic reflector . I don't know how to name it . But there are not alumninum reflector. It looks like plastic or something . And see below pic.
2_zpsruqalphg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This one is Aluminum reflector .

So . My questons is . What makes the difference in these two reflector . And what's the pros and cons

Thank you for the help .Cheers
Minos

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Minos,

The only thing I can tell is the bottom one looks like it would produce more throw than the one above it. The one above is a handheld, the one below looks to be attached to a power source. Do you have any other information available? Or would you perhaps like some recommendations for a good dive light? There a few divers around here that may be able to help you out..

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi Minos,

What you have in the first pics are so caled "Optics", basically these are glass or pvc lenses wich fit over and around the leds and project the light onto a certain beam, they also can work as difusors.
I like them, because they can get more accurate angles and look awesome, and also sometimes they can get smaller than reflectors.

The second pic you have is a reflector, wich sits around the led.

Here is na exemple of na led optic I found in the web. (Copyright. LED Supply)
10048.jpg

These optics exist for single leds but also for led arrays.

And in my opinion the torch in the first pics has a narrow beam.

arek98

Enlightened
First is TIR optic (Total Internal Reflection), second is regular reflector.
For the same size TIR and reflector they may have similar throw. With TIR is tricky because it may be designed to give tighter or wider angle and it is hard to tell by looking at it.

Main difference is that TIR typically has bigger hotspot and less spill than reflector.
IMO for underwater TIR is better (unless you want really intense spot and don't care about its size), spill from reflector is wasted mostly since it is to week to cut thru any significant distance in water comparing to spot.

Do they advertise beam angles?

Minos2014

Newly Enlightened
First is TIR optic (Total Internal Reflection), second is regular reflector.
For the same size TIR and reflector they may have similar throw. With TIR is tricky because it may be designed to give tighter or wider angle and it is hard to tell by looking at it.

Main difference is that TIR typically has bigger hotspot and less spill than reflector.
IMO for underwater TIR is better (unless you want really intense spot and don't care about its size), spill from reflector is wasted mostly since it is to week to cut thru any significant distance in water comparing to spot.

Do they advertise beam angles?
Thank you for your answer . I just want to find out why the Dive light has two different reflector.:party:

Last edited: