Please tell me there's a lantern style light better than the Streamlight Vulcan

SoulLessGinger

Newly Enlightened
One of my buddies on the ladder truck asked me to find him a powerful lantern style flashlight. One of the other guys at the station has a Vulcan incan that has a great beam for smoke, but it is just way too weak. Lots of potential wasted in that light, IMO. Haven't tried the LED version, but something tells me it won't be much better.

I suggested an aspheric like my DBS with a 2x18650 extension tube, but he wants something lantern-style.

Any ideas? I'm open to modding as well. Don't really want to go any higher than $100.

Thanks.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, size is important, as is run time, color temp and physical abuse it will need to endure. include a few more specs and i'm certain we can come up with something for you :):welcome:

SoulLessGinger

Newly Enlightened
Nothing huge. Near the same size as a Streamlight Vulcan. Weight is more important, as we have enough of that on our backs already. Preferably around 4lb. Definitely want to stay under 6lb.

I've used enough lights in the smoke to say that it definitely needs good color rendering, so anything blue is definitely out. LED and HID are fine, but they would have to be neutral or warm tints.

As far as physical abuse, it can't be delicate, since it will get knocked around from time to time. It will probably see 2 or 3 good fires a month. Water resistance is a must, but it needn't be waterproof.

Temperature resistance isn't really an issue I'm going to worry about. We do get in situations inside of structures where our plastic faceshields will melt, but those fires only come about maybe once a year or less (I have 8 years on and have only been through 2 shields). And despite that, I've never melted a light or had it die from heat.

Thanks for the help.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, its going to be tough to come in with those specs and still be in your price range, unless you DIY, find someone to build you a custom unit for you with avail parts, or get lucky and find a used unit that either works or just needs minor repair/maintenance (i.e. batts or bulb replacement). it wouldent be hard to build/upgrade a unit yourself tho.

SoulLessGinger

Newly Enlightened
I may just get him an LED Vulcan and mod it for a brighter unit than the K2 that is in it. I just find it odd that such a mediocre light has absolutely no legit competition. What happened to the Big D?