Pointer which is IIIb only with a key, but still works at <5mw without it?

joquarky

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make a handheld laser pointer which has two power modes where it will not exceed 5mw unless a key/fob is inserted?

One thing that's held me back from getting a IIIb laser pointer is that I know when I use my current IIIa laser pointer, people tend to want heavily insist on letting them "just hold it for a second".

I usually do, but with the caveat that they can hold it only if they do not point it at other people or reflective things. On a few occasions, people have unintentionally violated this requirement, so I am very hesitant to get a more powerful pointer knowing this scenario may come up.

However, I just thought about a potential design where a Class IIIb laser pointer will only work in ClassIIIa or even ClassII mode without a key/fob plugged into it. Optimally, this key/fob would be attached to a wrist strap similar to the one used with the Nintendo Wii controller.

Is anyone familiar with such a concept, or some existing product which could be easily modified to perform this function?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know of any laser like that. I highly doubt anyone would bother making one either, would be very complicated/expensive.

Corona

Enlightened
It certainly would not be complicated to include a switch in the power control circuit to provide multiple / selectable regulated and calibrated power levels...fitting a keyswitch into a laser pointer, OTOH...

I can think of a very simple solution / implementation and will share it with everyone right here and now (so no one can patent it)...

The "authorized" operator wears a magnetic ring.
The pointer has a reed switch (or Hall Effect device) that detects the ring's presence
The magnetic switch activates High Power Mode when the Ring is nearby
Idiots (VilliageIdiot aside) are prohibited by the FDA from owning or possessing magnetic rings

Simple As :D