Pole 'barn" lighting

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to know some good ideas for a 24 X 40 pole building. Ten foot rafters, 15 foot peak, 1/3 workshop/sitting area, 2/3 tractors and assorted field equipment storage. Also, how about some ceiling fan suggestions for the work area as well? Thanks!

Karl

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got that exact same size pole building (with walls/etc). I hung 3 strips of these all the way down the long axis, end to end. It's like daylight in there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...000K-Bright-White-8-Pack-54103161-2/300237598

10' ceiling joist
that's with only 1 set installed

1630116646099.png

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is a great idea and, as is said, "a picture is worth a thousand words". The inclusion of the pic, priceless. A follow-up question if you will. Given the 40 foot length of the building and the fact these are 4 feet per unit, we'd say there is a need for 30 but, allowing for the space between each unit, I'll guess 8, possibly 9 units per 40 feet, total of 32-36 units total.

I'm thinking of a possible variation of this pattern for my needs. It appears that the entire floor space may be devoted to a workshop and the need for uniform, high-intensity lighting generalized for the 24 x 40 area. Since my use is primarily intended for farm equipment storage, varying the pattern of light placement, "concentrating" the work/"office" space may be best for my use, providing lesser illumination to the storage areas which will be illuminated much less frequently. In addition (just thinking out loud) a dimming ability may be of use as well.

This is great info, I was at a loss of where to start. Thanks!

Karl

turbodog

Flashaholic
Without going out there to count, yeah I think the strings are 9 lights long. They daisy chain so you only need 1 duplex outlet at the end of each string to feed them.

Those particular models have a pull chain so you can turn them off.

Take a 2x4 and run it the length of the building. Otherwise you'll have trouble mounting to the ceiling joists.

Yeah the storage areas don't need as much... but with those areas being obscured/shadowed by stuff I'd still put the full amount of lights overhead.

It's enough light that I can be under equipment working on it and not need a flashlight. I never have shadows, which is really nice while working on detailed stuff.

They include chains for mounting. You just need some 2" drywall screws to mount to your board.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great practical tip on the 2x4s and point on the shadows--I'm always under some equipment--usually with a flashlight (gasp!) stuck in my mouth since there's never enough light.

Karl!