Portable power source for 200 mw ir laser illuminator?

Edstar78

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering how folks who use laser illuminator a power them to 5 volts? I'd like to have a voltage regulator as well to dim the illumination

arek98

Enlightened
Laser diode needs constant current source (same as regular LED). IR should have Vf voltaged lower than white LED. Where did you get 5V?

What is your power source?
For anything less than Vf you will need boost driver.
If battery voltage is higher than Vf you will need buck. If battery is only slightly above Vf of laser diode you could use linear driver.

What do you mean by dim? You need few levels or full range from 200mW to 0?
Do you have a spec of diode?
Is this like eBay diode and it is using 200mW of power or it actually outputs 200mW of IR?

Last edited:

Edstar78

Newly Enlightened
Same as the odicforce ir 200 mw, but without the internal battery pack. I use four aa batteries (6v) and now plan to use a diode to get it down to around five volts.

arek98

Enlightened
As I wrote IR laser diode by itself should have lover Vf (about 2V not 5V).
Looks like you are talking about whole IR laser module (diode + lens + driver in metal housing).
Input voltage will depend on particular module requirement.
OdicForce specifies "Design voltage: 5V". No way to tell if it can handle 6V (4 fresh alkaline under light load)
They sell whole 200mW IR laser and say that it can be used with 2 CR2 3V batteries or 1 LiIon.
If you have the same module you are good and also you should be able to use 4 NiMH.
Again, it depends on driver used in module. Try to get information from manufacturer.

Edstar78

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I am surprised at how good the Sony cam nv is with laser illumination! I'd say from my little experience with gen 1 gear that it is a little less in quality but sure makes it difficult to shell out $1000 for a dedicated gen 1 rifle scope. Still only getting the full image of a rabbit size critter out to 30 meters then lose the quality, which is basically my experience with gen 1. Camera is a Sony dvr sr42.