properties of sine waves

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know this is a peculiar question but i'm hoping one of our knowledgeable electronics people can answer this question. I have a really specific, important reason for asking about the nature of electrical signals.
so the question is, does every electrical signal transmission consist of sine waves being used in the delivery of the signal or current?
it would include the following applications
audio
video
digital
power
sensitive test equipment
etc

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
A perfect sine wave would be a constant tone at its frequency. Most sounds/video are complex forms of sinewaves.

Not all power is a sinewave, batteries for example aren't sinewaves but a flat line at the voltage level (using a oscillosscope screen) these are called DC (direct current) oposed to the sinewavish ¿? form of AC (alternated current)

Well your question was too general, so was my reply, If you need something more specific Im willing to post longer (and I guess others too)

Pablo

Orbit

Enlightened
Like pablo said WAY to general a question. Perhaps if you enlighten us on your "really specific important reason" we can help you a bit more.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
for example
all audio frequencies are lines with amplitude variations with low frequencies with huge sine waves and very high frequencies with very small sine waves. Do all electronic signals other than dc power invlove different amplitudes or what we would see as amplitude waves on an oscilloscope?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

But, as far as electrical signals are concerned, you can always transform them into a system of sine-waves with varying frequencies and amplitudes. That's a mathematical theorem called Fourier transformation.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm asking these questions because of a cable technology that I've designed by doing listening tests. I understand the theory that I developed regarding wire interactions but i'm not sure why it technically works, it just does. The cable design has the same effect on analog,digital and power signals(power cord)
For example I can exactly duplicate the sound of reference headphones such as the Sennheiser HD600 headphones plugged into a professional DAC with a volume control to the sound of the same recording from the same DAC going through a stereo system that is speaker based.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still not clear on what the question is. We are talking audio frequencies here? What would be the "wire interactions"?

Max

Enlightened
keithhr said:
For example I can exactly duplicate the sound of reference headphones such as the Sennheiser HD600 headphones plugged into a professional DAC with a volume control to the sound of the same recording from the same DAC going through a stereo system that is speaker based.

Are you saying that you have found a way to generate audio from speakers such that it sounds to the listener as if he or she is wearing Sennheiser HD600 headphones?

I don't think I understood your original question either, but the answer about the Fourier series is I think the answer to the question as you posed it. Every signal can be decomposed to be the sum of sine waves. And the signal doesn't have to be electric. You could draw a graph of the my weight for the last year and express it as the sum of sine waves too.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
keithhr said:
I'm asking these questions because of a cable technology that I've designed by doing listening tests. I understand the theory that I developed regarding wire interactions but i'm not sure why it technically works, it just does. The cable design has the same effect on analog,digital and power signals(power cord)

This is possible in theory, but very difficult.

A cable is a short transmission line. Any transmission line will act as a filter to some extent: it will attenuate the relative amplitudes of various sinusoidal frequencies that propagate along its length. It is fairly straightforward to measure the filter characteristics of a cable, given some basic electronics equipment.

Sometimes the attenuation is desirable, but sometimes it isn't. In theory, one could design various cables with different filter characteristics to do what you want, but it probably isn't the best approach.