Quick Disconnect Keyring

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
These are great suggestions. I'll be researching more as well. Wahtever the most reliable and smallest is, wins. Thanks to all...much appreciated.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Victorinox stainless steel model is sold out on the Victorinox web site too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

The same ones are available at Wal-Mart and many hardware stores for a bit less. (They don't have the Victorinox name on them). I have a couple of sets myself. They work well. I put my ignition and Auto-lock keys on one ring, and my electronic key-fob and car-door key on the other ring. If my car needs servicing, I can just hand the mechanic the key-ring with the ignition key attached.

Another one I like are the smaller lobster-claw key-rings. I bought a handful of Garrity 1AAA models about a year ago. Each ones comes with one. I promptly took them off, for use with better lights. They should be available in most hardware stores.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target has the chromed-brass kind (China) on closeout right now.
I don't recommend them, once the chrome starts to flake the brass wears out fast and the thing starts to open way too easily.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
NAPA Auto Parts has a quick disconnect keyring much like the Victorinox, but are much beefier and I found them for about the same $4-5. I have used ones like the Victorinox and had them loosen up after a year or so but the ones I found at NAPA are still going strong after about two years. In fact they're just like new. An added advantage, with the weather at 13 degrees F and windy this morning, is that they are knurled and using them with gloves on is a snap.

Shur

Newly Enlightened
I've been using one of these for about 6 months now and really like it. I like that I can add more to with without adding the bulk of more disconnects and that it allows whatever is on it to move to a comfortable position.

http://www.autoexotic.com/temps/keychains/product11.cfm
Mine came from Ebay, not this store.

It doesnt appear to be a truly licensed product (it arrived with a large cheap 'made in china' sticker stuck to it) and the chrome is starting to chip off where it closes, but it's met my needs so well I've gotten over paying that kind of price for a key chain.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went to County Comm's website to get some more mini stainless clips for my keychain and they don't seem to have them anymore. Is there any other place that has them as cheap as CC did?

doubleganger

Enlightened
I know I'm late to the party but have to throw in my 2 cents. Unlike the McGizmo clips that I no longer use both because of weight and their tendency to come unclipped in my pocket, I've used one of these for years and never had it accidentally come unclipped plus they're very light. And at $1.00 each the price is hard to beat.
http://www.photonlight.com/Quick-Release-Keyring-Silver-p/qrclip-s.htm

Radiophile

Enlightened
I've lost stuff because of the nickel plated brass version of the quick release in post #2. They break after repeated use. Maybe stainless steel would be more durable, but I won't chance it.

S-Biner clips look interesting so I bought one. Things seem to easily find their way under the clip and off the Biner. It's in my junk drawer now. The other clips mentioned in the thread seem to have a similar clip design so I won't be trying them.

I decided to go with 1" split rings clipped onto a 7mm steel binder clip I found in the hardware section of WalMart for $2. It's heavy, but it's also heavy duty and I feel safe with it holding my keys and miscellaneous keyring tools.

As a side note, I found a package of what they call "findings" in the craft area of walmart. It has dozens of two different sizes of split rings and a couple different types of clips for less than $4. Probably more than I'll use.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm late to the party but have to throw in my 2 cents. Unlike the McGizmo clips that I no longer use both because of weight and their tendency to come unclipped in my pocket, I've used one of these for years and never had it accidentally come unclipped plus they're very light. And at $1.00 each the price is hard to beat.
http://www.photonlight.com/Quick-Release-Keyring-Silver-p/qrclip-s.htm
The weight?

23hoidg.jpg

I don't know how you could think the upper right clip is lighter than the lower right clip. As for them coming undone, I've been using these things for many years and I've never had a single one come undone. I'm only using that photon style one because I haven't gotten around to ordering more of the mcgizmo clips. If you guys hate yours so badly, I will gladly take them off of your hands. The photon clip is MUCH bigger and unnecessarily bulky.

doubleganger

Enlightened
The weight?

23hoidg.jpg

I don't know how you could think the upper right clip is lighter than the lower right clip. As for them coming undone, I've been using these things for many years and I've never had a single one come undone. I'm only using that photon style one because I haven't gotten around to ordering more of the mcgizmo clips. If you guys hate yours so badly, I will gladly take them off of your hands. The photon clip is MUCH bigger and unnecessarily bulky.

Well then I guess you're just lucky then (and I'm very happy for you), or maybe myself and the guy in this topic who mentioned losing a light due to one of those coming open are just unlucky. Or maybe the strength of the spring varies from clip to clip or maybe from batch to batch. Or maybe they improved the design after I bought mine. Or maybe we bought from different manufacturers. All I know is that mine came off my keyring twice the first week I had it and I didn't have to lose a light to get the message. As they always say YMMV.

As far as the weight goes, I took to heart the advice of the person recommending not to use the smallest size of the McGizmo clips so your comparison doesn't apply.

So did you just get up on the wrong side of the bed or do you just like to argue?

hiker123

Newly Enlightened
I have the cheap plated brass versions of the Victorinox Coupling Key Fob. They are great, but they do wear over time. I noticed lots of places sell them online and would be a good fill item. Check google shopping for Victorinox Coupling Key Fob and sort for lowest price.

fluke

Enlightened
I have found out recently that my SAK coupling as sold by Lighthound is not Stainless (I never bought it from Lighthound) says Swiss made but is plated brass, and I paid a premium for it.