Rechargeable Battery options for 9 volt 3ea 123A battery lights

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
New to the rechargeable game and reaching toxic overload with the confusing array of sizes and shapes. It looks like 2 of the 17500 will replace the 3 cell 123A length-wise. It seems these are old and out of favor nowadays so what is the current replacement?
And no I won't drill out my Surefires for the larger size batteries. I would rather just keep using primaries.

Thank you

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The keeppower 17500's are good, but they are pretty long cells and make the surefire twisty switches more stiff to use and compress the springs more.

I've come to prefer to use two 14500's instead, which are AA sized 3.7v li-ion cells. There are high capacity 14500 cells with practically the same capacity as the 17500's (like vapcell F12's). 14500's will be closer in overall length to 3x 123's and the twisty switch works better. You can get the 17mm two AA sleeve from oveready and the cells won't rattle.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
New to the rechargeable game and reaching toxic overload with the confusing array of sizes and shapes. It looks like 2 of the 17500 will replace the 3 cell 123A length-wise. It seems these are old and out of favor nowadays so what is the current replacement?
And no I won't drill out my Surefires for the larger size batteries. I would rather just keep using primaries.

Thank you
I don't own any 3xCR123A lights, but use LFP (LiFePO4) 16340 / 123s to replace CR123A primary cells in general LED light applications. Surefire sells their own-labelled ones, but I use K2 Energy cells because they come with complete specs, and one of those specs is a higher capacity than the Surefire cells. That capacity spec is below that of a primary 123, but I'm not used to getting 'something for nothing', and it's not an issue in most of my specific applications. If it's a 'killer' issue for you, then they're perhaps not for your application. They also work pretty well in cold temps. They do require a charger which is compatible with that chemistry, as they are charged to a CV of 3.6V, although their nominal output is =/<3.2V. Street price is ~$7USD.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 1.54.23 PM.png

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use Milsurp Panasonic CR123s. Sure you can save money with rechargables but the rechargable CR123s run too hot and the 18650 or so are too weak with a pair of them. Theres some shorter battery Pila uses but I never had any to know the size of them that do a 3xCR123 light.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any 3xCR123A lights, but use LFP (LiFePO4) 16340 / 123s to replace CR123A primary cells in general LED light applications. Surefire sells their own-labelled ones, but I use K2 Energy cells because they come with complete specs, and one of those specs is a higher capacity than the Surefire cells. That capacity spec is below that of a primary 123, but I'm not used to getting 'something for nothing', and it's not an issue in most of my specific applications. If it's a 'killer' issue for you, then they're perhaps not for your application. They also work pretty well in cold temps. They do require a charger which is compatible with that chemistry, as they are charged to a CV of 3.6V, although their nominal output is =/<3.2V. Street price is ~$7USD.

View attachment 51225
I'm pretty sure these are the surefire lfp cells. I know capacity is a big higher, but maybe these are a newer model? I've been using soshine lfp cells and they've been great. I'm not a tactical guy so I don't need absolute reliability. That being said I do still use a lot of primaries as they last pretty long and they're only $1.50 usd a piece

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I have purchased ALL of them. :) What a pile of batteries, it's great to have choices. How do you guys store all of these things?
I just put them in 18650 cases you can buy cheap online. And all those case go in a basket in a drawer. I generally keep the lithium ion cells charged at 3.7-3.8v a cell until they're needed. Lfp cells are stored fully charged