Relay for low beams to come on when I select high beam?

nehuge

Newly Enlightened
1995 Ford F53 chassis, has 9005's and 9006's as headlamps. Did a three relay setup, one is low beam relay, other is high beam relay, and the third is a holdover relay. It is supposed to keep the low beams on at the same time the high beams are on when high beams are called for.

On the Ford wiper stalk, I push it forward until it clicks and it turns on the high beams and the low beams turn off. When I bring the stalk back to center position/neutral, the high beams go off and the low beams come back on. When I pull the stalk towards me to flash, the low beams go off, the high beams flash, and letting it flick back to neutral makes the high beams go off and the low beams go back to normal. This is cool that something is working, but still no low beams coming on with the high beams together at the same time.

Here is my setup:

The vehicle has three wires that used to go to the sealed beam types with a three port female plug and the sealed beams had the male 3 prong connector; Now with the 9005 and 9006 housings, the Low Beam wire, High Beam Wire, and Ground wire that come from the headlight switch from Ford now go to three relays. I have three five pin relays (with two pin 87's on each, not an 87 and an 87a like you'd see on others.) A Low Beam relay, High Beam relay, and Hold-Over relay.

All three relays have pigtail connectors connected to them so I have decent length wires to tie together instead of having to crimp ends and slide them on the relays pin's directly.

The colors on the pigtail wires coming from the relays' pins are:
Red from pin 30
Black from pin 85 ground
White from pin 86
Yellow from center pin 87
Blue from outer pin 87

- The low beam wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the Low Beam relay as well as the Blue pigtail wire from pin 87 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total)
- The high beam wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the High Beam relay as well as the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total).
- The ground wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the Low Beam Relay, as well as the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the High Beam Relay, as well as the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total)
- The Red pigtail wires from pin 30 on all three relays' are all connected via a fused link directly to the battery. (Three red wires going directly to post on battery). The fuses are good, (tested with multimeter) and have continuity all the way through.
- The Yellow pigtail wire from the central pin 87 on the Low Beam Relay connects to one side of the passenger 9006 low beam bulb.
- The Blue pigtail wire from the outer pin 87 on the Low Beam Relay connects to one side of the driver 9006 low beam bulb.
- The Yellow pigtail wire from the central pin 87 on the High Beam Relay connects to one side of the passenger 9005 high beam bulb.
- The Blue pigtail wire from the outer pin 87 on the High Beam Relay connects to one side of the driver 9005 high beam bulb.
- The ground wire from all four bulbs are currently tied together and all connected to the negative post on the battery.

Does this all look right? I'm at a loss as to why no low beam and high beam together when I put the brights on. Perhaps something to do with the Ford multifunction stalk that pushes, pulls, and sits neutral? Or maybe a high beam low beam relay attached to it from Ford under the dash?

I'd like us to see well and be safe on side roads where no one is out there and wanted all four bulbs on at once when I enable high beams.

Dave

jeffjeeptj

Newly Enlightened
I did the same thing you are desiring In my past It did not end well. The low beam and high beam each draw about 5 amps and the factory ground wire did not conduct the total amperage when both filaments were lit for longer periods of time (ground wire melted). I installed a larger/heavier ground wire. Then I developed shortened lamp life due to the higher temps in the bulb cavity.
Could you mount some auxiliary lamps that would better illuminate your area of interest and be separately controlled Or illuminate with the high beams via a relay?

theastronaut

Newly Enlightened
Why would you want extra foreground lighting with the high beams on? This is going to make seeing farther out (where the high beam's hot spot is) worse because your eyes will be adjusted to the brightness of the light right in front of you. The high beams are dimmer right in front of the vehicle on purpose; you need to be able to easily focus farther out when driving faster with the high beams on.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Ford wiper stalk, I push it forward until it clicks and it turns on the high beams and the low beams turn off. When I bring the stalk back to center position/neutral, the high beams go off and the low beams come back on. When I pull the stalk towards me to flash, the low beams go off, the high beams flash, and letting it flick back to neutral makes the high beams go off and the low beams go back to normal.
I don't think what I have to say will help, but maybe. Please ignore otherwise. My 2011 Honda stalk & stock works precisely the same way, except when I pull towards me to flash high beams, I get both low and high beams together. I have on rare occasion sustained holding it for more light until it gets annoying, not unlike this comment.