Sekonic Mod. 246 Light Meter

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I acquired this bit of kit two years ago, and it's sat around doing nothing. (Have the case & everything, except the manual. Mint.) 1980's style Made in Japan.

It's a light meter that measures in foot-candles.

What do I do with it? What is it good for? Does it have any relevance today with lux and lumen measurements being the dominate measurements for comparison purposes?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It looks like a camera light meter of that time. If 500 fc is its limit, you could back up about 10 meters of so and do some lux reading of your flashlights, and do the the inverse square law formula measurements for one meter. One fc equals one lux at one meter.

Bill

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Righto

There is a X10 widget that is secured in the back of the unit. If I put that in and separate the flashlight source and the meter by 1 meter, I would get readings in lux then?

Also there is a greenish filter that was included in the box. The white filter screws off (turns like 45 degrees and lifts off) and then the green one can go on. What's it for?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It looks like a camera light meter of that time. If 500 fc is its limit, you could back up about 10 meters of so and do some lux reading of your flashlights, and do the the inverse square law formula measurements for one meter. One fc equals one lux at one meter.

Bill

An fc is 1 lumen per square foot, not per square meter.

1 lux = 1 lumen per square meter.

1 lumen per square foot is ~ 10.764 times brighter than 1 lumen per square meter, so to convert, you multiply the fc by 10.764 to get lux.

IE: 1 fc = ~ 10.764 Lux

(For easy ball park conversion, a lot of people just call it an even 10 to make the math easy.)

Last edited: