Shotgun fore end light

MikeC

Newly Enlightened
I have a pump gun with a Laser Products fore end that has a screw-in light in it. It has a finger activated tape switch on the right side. Looks like a 6p clone and runs on 2x123. The bulb is a laser products incan, 6V, P60, says NJ-1 on it also. It has two nested springs. I would like to upgrade to an LED befitting a 12 Ga. I tried to drop in my Malkoff from my real 6p but it did not fit, was way too loose. The springs need to be there. Is this enough info for someone to make some suggestions?

TIA

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It isn't needed a 60-100 lumen incan is all you need.
Have to respectfully disagree. Not having to worry about a bulb possibly burning out at a very inopportune moment is important. If you can eliminate even one potential failure point on a weapon kept for S.D., do it! An LED upgrade is one such elimination.

Personal recommendation would be the Streamlight TL-Racker.
Replace the whole forend. No worries about the light ever shaking loose.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would put something that makes several thousands lumens, so it blinds the intruder so bad that he would not see a thing for a minute or two. I'd put green leds there, it burns retina much better than white, I found out the hard way.

michaex

Enlightened
@MikeC did you add the $1 Malkoff spacer that is required for shock absorbing heads? If it's a genuine Laser Products / SureFire, you have a Z32 head there and you'll need that ring for the drop-in to fit.

MikeC

Newly Enlightened
@MikeC did you add the $1 Malkoff spacer that is required for shock absorbing heads? If it's a genuine Laser Products / SureFire, you have a Z32 head there and you'll need that ring for the drop-in to fit.
I did not know about the spacer. It is an LP foreend. It only has the tape switch. Malkoff has suggested replacing with one of these:
However they are out of stock. Thanx for the ID. I will look for z32 LED replacements. Any suggestions?

MikeC

Newly Enlightened
Have to respectfully disagree. Not having to worry about a bulb possibly burning out at a very inopportune moment is important. If you can eliminate even one potential failure point on a weapon kept for S.D., do it! An LED upgrade is one such elimination.

Personal recommendation would be the Streamlight TL-Racker.
Replace the whole forend. No worries about the light ever shaking loose.
I also disagree. Target ID is critical obviously. But, details like what's in his hands, other threats a few feet or yards behind, environment, vehicles etc. are also important. Thanx for the recommendation.

MikeC

Newly Enlightened
I did not know about the spacer. It is an LP fore end. It only has the tape switch. Malkoff has suggested replacing with one of these:
However they are out of stock. Thanx for the ID. I will look for z32 LED replacements. Any suggestions?
I looked on the Malkoff site but could not find the spacer you referred to. Do you have a link?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with my Malkoff M61 in my old Laser Products forend. Mine was actually too tight. The brass body was just a hair too big to fit in the old weaponlight head. Personally, I did some judicious Dremel work to the head itself (not the Malkoff!) until it would slide in. I understand that's not for everybody.

The Malkoff fitting ring is a good option to smoosh down the shock-isolating foam in the head and stabilize your drop-in. I would also try some foil tape around the body of the dropin to make sure it stays centered in the head.

You don't need a whole new unit with new technology. Malkoff units in Surefire weapon lights are awesome with awesome on-top with a side of awesome. My M61N sits in my newer Surefire forend with Z32 bezel just fine. Just gotta make some refinements.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TL-Racker. The quality definitely isn't up there with classic Surefire foreends. It functions fine but it's a little sloppy and I kinda wonder long term.

michaex

Enlightened
(...)
You don't need a whole new unit with new technology. Malkoff units in Surefire weapon lights are awesome with awesome on-top with a side of awesome. My M61N sits in my newer Surefire forend with Z32 bezel just fine. Just gotta make some refinements.
Agreed. The only real differentiator is weight in my opinion. Is it a lot of difference? Probably not that much. Both options (drop-in and whole assembly) are viable though in my book ;)