Should I go with a protected or unprotected battery?

joeynox

Newly Enlightened
Question, I just bought a sofirn if22a and a 31t.

Would it be better to use protected or unprotected batteries? Also are there any brands of batteries I should avoid? I e bought batteries from 18650 battery store in the past so that's where I was planning on getting them from.

Also would higher amp battery be better ?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Question, I just bought a sofirn if22a and a 31t.

Would it be better to use protected or unprotected batteries? Also are there any brands of batteries I should avoid? I e bought batteries from 18650 battery store in the past so that's where I was planning on getting them from.

Also would higher amp battery be better ?

I've bought from the 18650 store... their stuff seems good. Best I can tell, the higher amp cells are really for vape equipment.

If a light will accept protected cells (they are longer) then use them. Some lights will use flat top cells, some take button tops. So there are a few issues in play here. Also, a multi cell light needs button tops so you can have cell to cell contact.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm running a 'series' light, I never really use them, but I have some.

My first two li-ions were protected Eagle Tac Pannie 3100s.

They've been stored in the fridge for 10 years.

Buy quality stuff, learn how to use it and don't worry.

Chris

DRW

Enlightened
They've been stored in the fridge for 10 years.
Fridge is a relatively high humidity environment.

Unless I'm running a 'series' light, I never really use them, but I have some.
Agreed.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Protected vs unprotected is a case by case basis. From what I've gleaned most devices designed for use with lithium ion have protections built into it and a lot aren't designed for the longer length the addition of a protection circuit adds.
Also protection circuits can add more resistance into the circuit thus under higher currents can result in some voltage drop which can result in dropping out of turbo modes sooner than expected and throttling down to lower modes.
I think most if not all USB batteries have protection circuitry built in them but am unsure of the performance cost in use of them vs the convenience. If you buy good cells and good lights protected batteries are IMO optional but I believe regardless of protection or not anybody using lithium ion power should research the dangers of them and what to do when something happens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If the light pulls enough amps to trip the low voltage circuit, yes unprotected. If not you'll always know when your battery should be charged and not end up murdering the battery by depleting it too far.
Some lights pull too many amps for the protection circuitry and cause the light to act like it's dead.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a general suggestion here. I noted that Sofirn sells both of those lights optionally either with or without an included cell. Have you determined what type(s) of cell they provide with or recommend (/sell) for those lights? I would recommend that as good input for your decision(s).

I generally (although not always exclusively) pay attention to such manufacturer recommendations, where applicable. They know the design of the termination(s), dimensions, etc., and also significantly the current requirements of their lights, and also have every incentive to provide / recommend a type of cell which will provide good performance of their product(s) for their customers. Additionally, if the manufacturer provides proper FL1-compliant performance specs, those specs are required to be measured using the same type of cell provided with / recommended for that light.

Just a suggestion. I make my own final decisions on cells, but try to include manufacturer's recommendation(s) as input for those.

turbodog

Flashaholic
When I was forced to move to unprotected cells (malkoff lights), I let it run down till it was dim then checked the voltage.... it was still plenty above critical/cutoff volts. Had to get a feel for brightness versus volts.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was forced to move to unprotected cells (malkoff lights), I let it run down till it was dim then checked the voltage.... it was still plenty above critical/cutoff volts. Had to get a feel for brightness versus volts.

Help me out here, TD. Being from AL, I've of course considered copping one of Malkoff's lights (although I don't have any yet). What characteristic precluded your use of 'protected' cells with their product(s)? (dimensions, current requirements, etc.?). Give me a little 'heads up' before I go shopping!

Also, if one is in the unenviable position of lacking either a 'protected' cell or over-discharge warning / indication from the light, I agree with your practice. If using a light in relatively low ambient conditions that dimming is often possible to discern, although if using it in high ambient lighting conditions, that can get dicey - but one does what one must do!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Help me out here, TD. Being from AL, I've of course considered copping one of Malkoff's lights (although I don't have any yet). What characteristic precluded your use of 'protected' cells with their product(s)? (dimensions, current requirements, etc.?). Give me a little 'heads up' before I go shopping!

Also, if one is in the unenviable position of lacking either a 'protected' cell or over-discharge warning / indication from the light, I agree with your practice. If using a light in relatively low ambient conditions that dimming is often possible to discern, although if using it in high ambient lighting conditions, that can get dicey - but one does what one must do!

They make some nice lights, very nice I'd say. The protected cells are too long. They do make a spacer that will allow the use of the cells though. I found that the output drops to unusable and batt volts are still in the 'safe' range.

I sold all my hds and bought 6 malkoff.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Don't _have_ to buy spacer... can simply unscrew tail a little to allow extra room for batteries.

I bought the

(1) 1x123 3 stage MDC

(3) 1x123 SHO (single high output)

(1) 1x18650 or 2x123 2 stage MD2

(1) 2x18650 or 4x123 hound dog, great thrower with good spill also
lot of power/usefulness while still fitting in a back pocket easily due to long SKINNY battery tube

DRW

Enlightened
@ChrisGarrett your quoting is way off, I never said anything about crisper drawers.

I did say relatively - that means there is context to my statement. It is supported by the link I provided.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to comprehend my comments, notwithstanding my error in botching up your triple quote, which I apologize for.

Fridges are a dry environment, which…again, is why they come with crisper drawers.

Let them come up to room temperature before using them and wipe off any condensation.

No problemo.

Chris

Last edited: