SST-70 Compatibility: Emitter Swap

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, all!

I really want to get a 1x21700 flashlight that changes modes purely by rotating something.

The two contenders are the Malkoff and the Jetbeam RRT2 Raptor.

I want a flashlight where you can turn something to set the mode, and never have to worry about using a clicky interface to change/set/control things.

The only "issue" with the Jetbeam RRT2 Raptor is that the LED is some unspecified cool white tint, not a nice, decent CRI neutral or better.

I don't see the Luminus SST-70 available in neutral or warm tints with good CRI.

So, this leads to my questions:

1) Does anyone know of a source for neutral or warm tinted SST-70 LEDs...?
2) If not, what current crop of LED, make and model, would be a direct swap...?

One thread I found indicates that the Cree XHP-50 should be a direct swap.

If so, would the Cree XHP-50.3—which *is* available in both neutral and warm white tints *and* high-CRI—be a direct swap candidate for the SST-70 LED...?

Thank you!

I have a Fenix PD40R for sale. Rotary control but it has the SST-70 emitter. It's not terribly blue. It is efficient with good capacity.

LEDphile

Enlightened
The XHP50 family (the .n denotes generation) has the same footprint and operating voltage range as the SST70, so should drop onto the pads and light up properly. However, note that each of the 2 LED strings in the XHP50.3 package are rated for 1.5A, while each LED string in the SST70 package is rated for 2.6A. So depending on the drive current, you might fry the XHP50. Also, the optical performance is likely to differ slightly, but how much of a difference that makes depends on the design of the optical system.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
@scalpel_ninja: Thank you!

@LEDphile: Thank you! That makes me slightly hesitant to proceed. I guess one would need current measurements at the emitter inside the Jetbeam, Malkoff, etc...to go that route...?

➡ It's truly unfortunate that the Jetbeam isn't available in at *least* a neutral tint.

I can write Jetbeam directly and ask; though, I doubt they would do a one-off. :(

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff cannot be modified due to how it's built.

Jetbeam RRT01 is magic

LEDphile

Enlightened
Looking at the flux specs for the Jetbeam and the XHP50.3, it looks like the Jetbeam might be able to hit the claimed lumen numbers with a high-binned XHP50.3 at max current, but it'd be close.

Which Malkoff are you looking at? There are multiple optins that can use the 21700 battery tube, including some that are available in neutral white and high CRI.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is, I don't believe the Malkoffs are optimized for 1x3.7v cell vs. the Jetbeam.

It looks like I can get a 3000K, 3500K, 4500K... XHP50.3 LED pretty easily...from digikey or mouser.

LEDphile

Enlightened
The Malkoff Wildcat 18650 (20 degree beam with the diffuser, 10 degree without) is available in neutral and is optimized for use on a 3.6V Li-ion cell. The M61N is also neutral and will achieve full output on a 3.6V Li-ion, but is rather lower output.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you certain?

"The input voltage is 3.6 - 6 Volts."

Source

That doesn't sound like flat regulation (optimization) over the full discharge range of a 1x3.7V cell.

Further Questions:

1) I know the Malkoffs are potted; does anyone know if the Jetbeams is/are, i.e., if the swap isn't super difficult...?

2) Is the difference between "HI" and the "HD" variants that the "HD" is a regular dome, while the "HI" is domeless...?

a) If so, is the "HD" slightly floodier and the "HI" slightly more tight/narrow/focused...?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT2 should be a simple mod. Remove bezel, pop out the reflector, desolder wires, remove mcpcb, desolder LED, add paste, reflow. Done

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
—okay; got it.

I don't have the skills to mod it but I will be on the lookout for someone who can.

Thank you! :)