Sub $10.00 "100w" Philips LED Light Bulb

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Philips appears to returns as a price leader. It's nice to see 100 watt equivalent bulbs showing up on the market. The 60 watt products long ago became very affordable. However, many bulbs in my home are 100W and I could not justify spending upwards of $60.00 to replace those old CFLs. At < $10.00 that decision becomes much easier.

I tear down a bulb, reverse engineer some of the circuits followed by some performance analysis.

There are trade-offs for sub $10.00 bulbs. The light pattern is more downward firing than it should be for a good emulation of an incandescent. The warranty is quite a bit shortened (3 hours per day for 3 years)... that's only 3,285 hours.

<span style="font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; font-size: 13.2px; line-height: 18.48px;">

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I check the Fixed Lighting forum for the first time in weeks and am treated to a teardown by electronupdate. I always appreciate your videos.

Trouthead

Newly Enlightened
I bought a four pack of these bulbs and really like them. Good output but who knows how long they will last. I hope this will push Cree to match them with maybe a bit better bulb at the same price. Great teardown of the bulb.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Thank you for the very concise, informative review!

I have some 100W incandescent in my basement that have not been upgraded to LED mostly due to cost. This may now change, saving my remaining supply of 100W incandescent bulbs for enclosed outdoor fixtures.

BLH

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great tear down and information.

I bought a four pack in June of 2015. When they where just being listed on the website and drop shipped from Phillips.
One in my cellar stairs has been working great since it was installed. Being mounted with the bulb side down. All the light is directly hitting the stairs.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the radiated acoustical noise decrease after it becomes thermally saturated?
I picked up 4x Feit non-dimmable 100w equiv's {1500 lumens @ a claimed 13 watts}, and they make noticeable noise upon initial turn on, but coming back in 1/2 hour, and you don't notice it.