tesla catches fire 3 weeks after crash

fulee9999

Enlightened
I'm not sure I understand why they leave the battery pack inside wrecked electric cars... Teslas especially have easily removeable packs on their bellies, do they not...?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not sure I understand why they leave the battery pack inside wrecked electric cars... Teslas especially have easily removeable packs on their bellies, do they not...?
Other than the fact it's the most valuable component, it's a mildly complex operation that requires simultaneously lifting the vehicle and cradling the battery pack on a lift or jack capable of lowering the considerable weight of the pack.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Other than the fact it's the most valuable component, it's a mildly complex operation that requires simultaneously lifting the vehicle and cradling the battery pack on a lift or jack capable of lowering the considerable weight of the pack.

It can't be that complicated, Tesla had a design for automatic battery changer station, where you park over the thing, it takes the current pack out and puts in a freshly charged.

But anyhow, I would just think it's good practice to store the battery pack and the car itself separately, like how they drain the petrol and remove the 12v batteries from cars anyways

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It can't be that complicated, Tesla had a design for automatic battery changer station, where you park over the thing, it takes the current pack out and puts in a freshly charged.
I recall the apparatus for that demo utilized an adapted tool from their factory floor that likely cost a solid six figures.

But anyhow, I would just think it's good practice to store the battery pack and the car itself separately, like how they drain the petrol and remove the 12v batteries from cars anyways
Sure, but a single layperson can perform these tasks in about 15 minutes using portable tools almost anywhere. Contrast hours of specialized mechanic labor, tools sufficient to lift an EV + independently cradle / safely lower a >500kg pack - all likely in a shop while concerned that a difficult-to-extinguish lithium fire will spontaneously break out.

Which isn't to say that it's an inherently bad idea - just that there are significant complications by compare.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My best friend's wife rented a Tesla 3 for two weeks. It was his Birthday present. One of those Experience gifts. He's gotten very heavy into electric vehicles over the past few years. Practically obsessed with them now. He, of course, loved the experience. Good for him. Not to sound cruel, but I'm personally glad that's as far as it's going to go. I want him to stay safe. Thankfully with his budget, he's got his eye on a 2023 KIA Niro Plug-in hybrid.

People love Teslas, but they're still catching on fire. Come on.... Someone did the math already. Turns out that, assuming it was properly distributed without corruption rearing its ugly head, 2% of Elon Musk's total financial worth could literally end world hunger. Credit where its due, he's willing to donate that to an organization that can distribute it properly. Just as long as they submit a plan for doing so that eliminates the possibility of corruption.

When you have THAT much money, how have you not found a way to prevent your cars from self destructing at this point? Seriously!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because junk yard crews do not know how to properly remove it, nor they want to mess with it, it is a high voltage stuff, you may think it is not that hard, but i've seen them fail at much simpler tasks. better this, than one of them get fried while doing it.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Because junk yard crews do not know how to properly remove it, nor they want to mess with it, it is a high voltage stuff, you may think it is not that hard, but i've seen them fail at much simpler tasks. better this, than one of them get fried while doing it.

no I understand that people who are only qualified to cut stuff with an angle grinder maybe shouldn't be touching highly dangerous sofisticated electronics, what I'm trying to say is to have a person who knows how to take these out, and have a shipping container or whatever where you can put the battery packs ( which can be sealed air tight preferably ) so you don't need to worry about the wrecked tesla in the middle of the junkyard doing fireworks in the middle of night

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welp, that's it for me....I won't be buying a white Tesla. Maybe gray or blue but the report mentioned the color white enough to make me suspicious....

That must be a high end junk yard to have a crashed Tesla. It seems like the used parts from it would be valuable, then there's that battery pack that was suprisingly still in the car.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They didn't want to touch that battery pack. It's likely overly complicated to help run the car.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no I understand that people who are only qualified to cut stuff with an angle grinder maybe shouldn't be touching highly dangerous sofisticated electronics, what I'm trying to say is to have a person who knows how to take these out, and have a shipping container or whatever where you can put the battery packs ( which can be sealed air tight preferably ) so you don't need to worry about the wrecked tesla in the middle of the junkyard doing fireworks in the middle of night
I do not see it happen, it does not happen nearly enough to even consider it, not to mention it may be human factor to begin with, we do not know if it was a self service yard, it could be one of us trying to get some cells out for their flashlights, and shorting it, lol,

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically, the most basic battery replacement in tesla costs between $13,000 and $14,000. For the Model S premium sedan, replacing a Tesla battery costs around $13,000-$20,000. Model 3 entry-level sedan and Model X premium SUV battery replacement can cost at least $13,000 and $14,000 respectively.Mar 17, 2022

Tesla battery replacement cost: How much to pay for it - Way

https://www.way.com › Home › Electric Cars

https://057tech.com/products/battery_modules

https://evolveelectrics.com/products/tesla-model-s-lithium-ion-battery

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Now I'm wondering how much the batteries are to replace on cars from other brands.