The Official Zebralight Headlamp Thread

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Unprotected UR14500P cell works perfectly in my H502c L2.

Its positive 'flat top' contact, however, is just a fraction of a millimeter above the plastic wrapper. So you need to attach a tiny magnet to it to ensure reliable connection with recessed conductor in the H502 head. Or, like I did, insert a small piece of wire through the went holes.

jXeOLCy.jpg

There are reports that H502 lights work with unprotected 14500 cells, but I could not find a confirmation of the over-discharge protection.
So I had to test it myself. My H502c L2 does have a safety feature similar to '52' lights. As battery voltage drops, light switches from high to medium mode at 3.4 V, then to low at 2.9 V, and turns off at 2.87 V.
I monitored the battery voltage in the headlamp under load via a tiny wire attached to the cell's positive contact.

H502c brightness is relatively same on 14500 compared to Eneloops. High mode just 10% brighter as measured with my phone luxmeter.
On max, light gets as hot as on Eneloops -- hard to hold it with bare hand.

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love for ZL to put a magnet in the tailcap. I constantly find myself using my Armytek Wizard Pro at work specifically for the magnet.

Anyone else want a magnet as an option? It would really make my day if they did.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion--and I think I got this from davidt1--a magnet in the tailcap is nowhere near as versatile as a magnet on the pocket-clip.

If it's on the tail-cap, then the cap has to go against the surface, so the battery-tube is perpendicular to the surface. Then you can rotate the light around the axis of the battery, but that's all. If your ferrous surface is the door of a fridge, say, then the light can shine at the ceiling or the floor or anywhere else in a plane parallel to the surface of the door. But it cannot shine out directly from the door, for instance, or at a 45-degree angle from the door.

If it's on the pocket-clip, then there is no limit to the variety of angles you can point it in, starting from any surface, whatever its angle.

I just modded my son's new Olight H1 nova by putting a small powerful magnet on the clip and covering it with black heat-shrink tubing to hold it in place. I have the same thing on my H502.

Another thing--there are times when you do not want a magnet in your pocket (e.g. credit cards). It is much easier to separate the pocket-clip and carry that in a pocket where the magnetism doesn't matter. It is hard to separate a dedicated magnetic tailcap--without it, the light won't work. (Unless you go the Armytek route and make the magnet removable, or offer multiple tailcaps with magnet and without.)

So I'm not waiting for ZL to put a magnet in the tailcap, and if they offered one I probably would not take it. Adhere a magnet to the pocket-clip, and you have a much more useful piece of kit.

JTorch

Newly Enlightened
I just received my first zl headlight yesterday, it's a h52w, and I love it so far. This is also my first zl in my collection, I wish I would have joined that club years ago! Mine has a beautiful neutral color tint, no problems at all there. I was torn between this one or one w/ the 18650 capability since I have so many of those cells already (not to mention dwelling on the sc52w l2 and the sc5w for that matter) but chose the AA format due to the different battery options. Heck I even read one review some where where a guy said he was even able to run a AAA battery in this light! I'm waiting on some eneloop pro's and a couple of 14500's to get here, so I haven't even seen it's full potential yet. I was showing my lady the light last night and how it worked, she put on the headband and said it would work perfect for her biking :-/ I was thinking dangit man! She sure is going to be disappointed when I give her that little fenix headlight I bought on sale from BG a couple of weeks ago! Lol, but I told her she had to take baby steps! Not to mention she just got a nice 3 mode AAA purple fenix light for her keychain from me as a stocking stuffer a couple of weeks ago!

roger-roger

Enlightened
I just received my first zl headlight yesterday, it's a h52w, and I love it so far. This is also my first zl in my collection, I wish I would have joined that club years ago! Mine has a beautiful neutral color tint, no problems at all there. I was torn between this one or one w/ the 18650 capability since I have so many of those cells already (not to mention dwelling on the sc52w l2 and the sc5w for that matter) but chose the AA format due to the different battery options. Heck I even read one review some where where a guy said he was even able to run a AAA battery in this light! I'm waiting on some eneloop pro's and a couple of 14500's to get here, so I haven't even seen it's full potential yet. I was showing my lady the light last night and how it worked, she put on the headband and said it would work perfect for her biking :-/ I was thinking dangit man! She sure is going to be disappointed when I give her that little fenix headlight I bought on sale from BG a couple of weeks ago! Lol, but I told her she had to take baby steps! Not to mention she just got a nice 3 mode AAA purple fenix light for her keychain from me as a stocking stuffer a couple of weeks ago!

Cool! I'm really liking my H503w. What I really want is the H600Fc III high CRI, but don't have enough need for another headlamp. Yet.

Kraken

Newly Enlightened
What 18650 batteries should be avoided in the ZL 600 series lamps? I've seen several suggestions for unprotected cells. Are protected cells a "no go"? Those of you using a ZL 600 series lamp, what batteries are you having success with?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally use my ZLs as neck lamps. About a week ago my H502w ran out of battery. I didn't have an extra battery on me, but I had the H52w. So I swapped the lights and I have been using the H52w in place of the H502w since. Missing the all flood beam a little but it's not a deal breaker. H52w beam is still usable. I definitely see buying a floody type headlamp in the future.

BTW, my H52w is the first version that comes with a soft clicky button which I like less than the hard button of the H502w.

Last edited:

JTorch

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming mine is the hard clicky, but I have nothing to compare it too. It is the ribbed version so I would think so. I'm on my 3rd battery in 3 days b/c I've been playing with it so much. Ready to get out in the woods with it and see how it really does :)
It was too hot to hunt around here this weekend, but maybe I can get out there this next weekend.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
What 18650 batteries should be avoided in the ZL 600 series lamps? I've seen several suggestions for unprotected cells. Are protected cells a "no go"? Those of you using a ZL 600 series lamp, what batteries are you having success with?

Well I only have 2 type of cells, Sanyo GA which is unprotected, it fits perfectly, and Eagletac 3500mAh which is protected, it fits but just barely, to get it out you have to shake the headlamp and if it would be any longer there would be problems. I fell uncomfortable whit how barely the Eagletac fits, so I prefer to use the Sanyos.

The Eagletac 3400mAh I think is a bit smaller than the 3500mAh so maybe it fits better, don't have one to try tho.

Last edited:

Kraken

Newly Enlightened
I'm concidering a "18650 KeepPower 3500mAh Sanyo NCR18650GA Protected Button Top". Will the "button top" create a problem in the 600 series? Max discharge is 10A which should give enough for these lights correct?

Trango

Newly Enlightened
According to HJK's review, this battery is 69mm and 18.6mm of diameter, It may be problematic it may or may not fit.
If you are from US and want a protected cell you may consider Zebralights own protected cell, that will fit for sure.
As for the max discharge, yes 10A is more than enough.

Kraken

Newly Enlightened
According to HJK's review, this battery is 69mm and 18.6mm of diameter, It may be problematic it may or may not fit.
If you are from US and want a protected cell you may consider Zebralights own protected cell, that will fit for sure.
As for the max discharge, yes 10A is more than enough.

i pulled the trigger on the Sanyo NCR18650GA Protected Button Top. Fingers crossed...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a chance to use my H52w as overhead light for about 3 hours at work today. Worked inside a dark trailer that had an aluminum roof which rendered the magnetic clip of my H52w useless. No problem since I carry a flat washer and gaffer tape. Taped the flat washer to the roof and attached light to the washer. Problem solved. Work got done. Female co-worker was impressed.

While the beam of the H52w was adequate, an all flood beam of the H502w would have been better. I didn't have that light with me. But the problem would have been a very short run time, as I would have needed to run it at maximum brightness due the dim diffused beam. I thought the H503w would have been excellent, as the bigger battery can run much longer at reasonable brightness. I so wish Zebralight would provide a clip for their $90 angle lights.

Once again I would have appreciated a floody beam even more.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a chance to use my H52w as overhead light for about 3 hours at work today. Worked inside a dark trailer that had an aluminum roof which rendered the magnetic clip of my H52w useless. No problem since I carry a flat washer and gaffer tape. Taped the flat washer to the roof and attached light to the washer. Problem solved. Work got done. Female co-worker was impressed.

While the beam of the H52w was adequate, an all flood beam of the H502w would have been better. I didn't have that light with me. But the problem would have been a very short run time, as I would have needed to run it at maximum brightness due the dim diffused beam. I thought the H503w would have been excellent, as the bigger battery can run much longer at reasonable brightness. I so wish Zebralight would provide a clip for their $90 angle lights.

There are other brands clips that fit the H600 series if you want to go with a 18650 powered version. I recommend the Nitecore MH20 clip. It fits perfectly and is available here for $5.95(Version B)...

http://www.nitecorestore.com/Pocket-Clip-for-Nitecore-P12-Flashlight-p/acc-clip-nitecore.htm

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened

Good point on the comparative light intensity of the H52w and H502w.

Just did a subjective comparison of the H502w and SC52w L2, with modes set at H1 and H2 respectively. The brightness of the H502w (within its throw capacity), came close to and may or may not have equalled the spill of the SC52w L2.

As an aside do flood emitters tend to run cooler? I sometimes think I received by mistake a cool white H502, as its that much cooler than my other ZL neutral whites, although none of the others are flood. None the less I really like this tint.

edit: Shining from ∽12" on an off-white ceiling, the H502w has a diffuse white-ish hotspot, transitioning to yellowish spill.

Last edited:

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I thought id chime in here. I've been using zebralight for a couple years now. Have an old H51 and an original XML sc 52. I just finished up a H600w MK 3 video review. Thought i'd share it here. https://youtu.be/lLTxCkpd4jw I did noticed that my two models flickered on L2 default mode. Not sure if this is a model defect or I happen to get two lemons. I'm keeping my defective model because I rarely use that setting and use the moonlight L2 instead. So far I really like the light. I have a part where my friend and I are riding in his car without a his head lights and just the zebralight H600w on turbo mode.... only for a short time.