Tint/color temperature of high end lamps

Drumlin

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I just bought my first "high end" headlamp, the Lupine Piko X. I was surprised to see that the light had a warmer, more yellow, tint than my old Led Lenser H7. The H7's light seems "sharper", although not nearly as powerful as the Piko. Is this normal, and what are the benefits of the warmer light?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy. Not familiar with your particular lights, but there's a general trend toward "neutral" (warmer than cool) LEDs because they generally do a better job at rendering colors. It's also possible you have a high CRI light, which emits a color spectrum closer to an incan.

And, some people prefer the raw power of the cooler lights. So some mfgs will offer your choice of cool or neutral tints.

Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer re the advantages of actual warm lights. AFAIK, it's a preference thing.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than personal preference there aren't overwhelming advantages one way or the other if you are talking about warm vs cool and as it compares to neutral. Some people like warm lights because it reminds then of incandescent lights to which they are familiar. Others like the crisp bright aspect of cooler lights. It's kind of like the difference between the warm incandescent lights you're likely to have at home and the florescent lights you're likely to have at work.

High CRI is useful but only as it relates to color temperature. Saying a light has a higher CRI than another if the other light is a different color temperature doesn't mean much.

The sun has a color temperature in the range of 5,000 k to 6,000 k (and a CRI of 100). A high CRI light with a color temperature of 3,000 k isn't going to necessarily render colors more accurately than a lower CRI light with a color temperature of 5,000 k.

Last edited:

Drumlin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, guys! I guess the CRI of this lamp is a lot better than the Led Lenser. And I perceive the color temperature to be more natural as well. So I'm pretty happy with it!

That "To consider before a headlamp purchase" guide is excellent, by the way, Bolster!

IVerE

Newly Enlightened
Obviously, the wider light color spectrum the light emits, the better the light performs. It's like you compare the good'ol flashlights to the cheap leds, looking directly at the light source the led seems brighter, but when you're looking at the area the light luminates it's just like it doesn't work, sort of, whereas the traditional light gives a balanced and good impression just limited by the amount of light you have available. The "ice cold" leds may seem very powerful, but doesn't necessarily work very well. I have a car with a combination of xenon and traditional halogen lights, and to be honest I feel that the halogen lighs are much better. This is due to the wider light spectrum they output and is also in part the reason for why the halogen bulbs use more power I believe.

diggy64

Newly Enlightened
I know alot of my photography friends insist on a warm light, especially when painting areas under high exposure. As others have alluded to, I expect color distinctions to be more pronounced will a warmer light, although I suppose the use of filters and post-production could minimize the need.

Latest posts