Titanium Innovations CR123A Explosion

TL-Mike

Newly Enlightened
Ran into an issue with a buddy using a Titanium Innovations CR123A (purchased through BatteryJunction) in a single cell flashlight with max discharge of 3A. I understand TI doesn't recommend this high of a constant current draw - but that still shouldn't result in the battery venting/exploding after about 90 seconds of use.

No one was injured fortunately, it vented inside the flashlight and blew out through the on/off switch. No flames, just smoke

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear this. Do you know how old the cell was and roughly how much use it had until the event?

Was this in a cold or hot environment?

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL-Mike,
Do you have any photos or more information(i.e. Light type, conditions such as temp, etc)? I have been using only Surefire and Titanium Innovations (for non-rechargeable uses only) for over three years. Have they (TI) been notified and if yes what was their response? Thank you for letting us know, but any further info to allow a pose-incident investigation to determine all the facts and any new recommendations as a result could be very valuable to us as a community.
Thanks,
Eddie

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you run a CR123A battery at 50% over its max rated current, you should expect over heating and venting.

chewy78

Enlightened
Ran into an issue with a buddy using a Titanium Innovations CR123A (purchased through BatteryJunction) in a single cell flashlight with max discharge of 3A. I understand TI doesn't recommend this high of a constant current draw - but that still shouldn't result in the battery venting/exploding after about 90 seconds of use.

No one was injured fortunately, it vented inside the flashlight and blew out through the on/off switch. No flames, just smoke
BUDDY must be a rocket scientist. NOT

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you run a CR123A battery at 50% over its max rated current, you should expect over heating and venting.

Has Titanium Innovations published a datasheet for its CR123A battery? All I can find is the spec published at Battery Junction. According to it, max. constant current is 1500mA. If that is right, then 3A is not 50% over max. It is 100% over max.

According to Battery Junction, "Every Titanium CR123A battery incorporates PTC protection (a type of thermal fuse) and the PTC threshold is set at 5AMPS."

The reason Selfbuilt only uses CR123A batteries that are made in the USA is because they have a PTC that trips at lower levels. Selfbuilt will not use CR123A batteries sold under the Titanium Innovations label.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
What bothers me is despite the fact that the max draw (on average) from CR123A's is supposed to be around 1.5A, there are manufacturers that release lights that will draw much more from the cells. For example (not bashing, just off the top of my head) the Thrunite TN-12. Selfbuilt's review even says you should not use this light on turbo with CR123A cells as it will draw so much current that the PTC will trip (with good quality cells).

Why this bothers me is that someone less knowledgeable / new to our hobby will buy a high power light like that, feed it with cheaper CR123As and then have an incident like the one in this thread.

This doesn't need to happen, folks.

I know it's difficult to design around - if you want to build a powerful light that needs to draw 3A, support 18650 and 2x CR123A *and also* reduce current consumption to 1.5A when you are not using a 18650 cell.... difficult. There are some possible tricks (voltage checking?) that might work but it wouldn't be reliable enough in my opinion.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What bothers me is despite the fact that the max draw (on average) from CR123A's is supposed to be around 1.5A, there are manufacturers that release lights that will draw much more from the cells.

YES! Most flashlight owners are not sophisticated enough to understand that 2xCR123A cannot drive the turbo and high modes of flashlights that normally run on 1x18650. When selfbuilt recently tested the popular Nitecore MH20, turbo mode tripped the PTC protection on his CR123A batteries. Why do flashlight manufacturers design lights that do that?

Here is an Elzetta video that measures the current drawn from CR123A by several Elzetta models. All of them the stay comfortably below the 1.5 amp spec for maximum continuous discharge. Unfortunately, the SureFire Fury that is also measured does not come close. It pulls 4.3 amps!

Phlogiston

Enlightened
BUDDY must be a rocket scientist. NOT

Hold it right there.

These products are easily available to ordinary consumers who have no technical knowledge and no idea that this sort of thing can happen.

Just as an example, I looked at my Fenix UC35 manual - I believe that Fenix lights are available over the counter in the US - and the only safety warning I can see is about shining the light in someone's eyes. From the manual:

When powered by two CR123A batteries, the Turbo output will be around 1000 lumens for the first couple of minutes.

That light must be drawing at least 2A from those CR123As. It comes with an 18650, it has a Li-Ion charger built in, but people can still buy it over the counter, run out of power one day and buy a couple of CR123As from a nearby store to keep them going until they get home to charge the 18650. At that point, you have a consumer carrying and using an unsafe system.

Fair dues to Fenix, they have a five-minute turbo stepdown, but that wouldn't have prevented the failure in the original post, which happened after a mere 90 seconds.

The onus is on the cell and flashlight manufacturers to:

• make sure these failures can't happen, by design;
  • restrict sales to people who can show they know what they're doing;
  • or plaster dire warnings all over the product.
Right now, as a group, they do practically none of the above.

Has Titanium Innovations published a datasheet for its CR123A battery? All I can find is the spec published at Battery Junction. According to it, max. constant current is 1500mA. If that is right, then 3A is not 50% over max. It is 100% over max.

According to Battery Junction, "Every Titanium CR123A battery incorporates PTC protection (a type of thermal fuse) and the PTC threshold is set at 5AMPS."

Setting the PTC threshold at more than three times the constant current rating is just asking for trouble.

Perhaps the cell has a higher burst current rating that the PTC setting needs to accommodate, but then we're back to the onus being on the cell and flashlight manufacturers to make sure that their products will be safe under all conditions, or to make sure that every single user knows what not to do.

The reason Selfbuilt only uses CR123A batteries that are made in the USA is because they have a PTC that trips at lower levels. Selfbuilt will not use CR123A batteries sold under the Titanium Innovations label.

I don't blame him. I wouldn't use those cells either.

This doesn't need to happen, folks.

Precisely.

I know it's difficult to design around - if you want to build a powerful light that needs to draw 3A, support 18650 and 2x CR123A *and also* reduce current consumption to 1.5A when you are not using a 18650 cell.... difficult. There are some possible tricks (voltage checking?) that might work but it wouldn't be reliable enough in my opinion.

For a single 18650 light, it's not quite so bad. Most modern lights already step down to a lower mode when they detect a low cell voltage, so the capability is already built in. Admittedly, bigger lights that take more cells might be more awkward, depending on the exact cell combinations they support.

A fully charged 18650 can hit a maximum of 4.4V (4.35V ± 0.05V), which would be 2.2V each for 2xCR123A, so the CR123As would be virtually dead at that point. There's no reason why the light firmware shouldn't be programmed to disable high current modes if it detects a voltage over about 4.5V.

Although that would let the light try to draw full current from a pair of CR123As at less than 2.25V each, I suspect that the voltage sag on those near-dead cells would self-regulate the current in fairly short order.

Even if it is still dangerous to try and draw 3A from CR123As at 2.2V each, the voltage check would nonetheless eliminate most of the potential failures, and that's better than nothing.

You could reduce the chances of failure still further by setting a flag in the driver's memory whenever it detected a voltage over 4.5V, so that it would stay in the low current mode even after the voltage dropped below that level. The flag could be reset whenever the voltage was removed, i.e. when the cells were changed.

You'd still be vulnerable if your two CR123A cells dropped below 4.5V and you physically locked out your light, because that would look like a cell change, but once again, some attempt to implement safeguards is better than nothing.

When selfbuilt recently tested the popular Nitecore MH20, turbo mode tripped the PTC protection on his CR123A batteries. Why do flashlight manufacturers design lights that do that?

I have no idea.

The thing is, many of them also sell own-brand CR123As. Those are just rewraps of ordinary CR123As from the original battery manufacturers, which means that the flashlight manufacturers' own lights can overload their own CR123As.

Sooner or later, we're going to see a case where someone loads their light with the light manufacturer's own-brand CR123As, then the light pipe bombs in the user's hand 90 seconds later. That flashlight manufacturer is going to get sued.

I really wouldn't want to be defending that case.

Thinking about it, I actually find myself wondering whether those flashlight manufacturers even bother to do risk assessments, because this scenario would be a big flashing red warning on any risk assessment of mine.

Last edited:

sandotter

Newly Enlightened
After a long time of reading this forum, I finally decided to join :)
I've just asked Fenix about the current limitations of CR123 primary cells and and the TK35UE:
"I've just bought a TK35UE 2014 model. As CR123A primary cells are recommended for this light, I would like to know, if there is a current limitation to 1.5A. Most common CR123A cells have a maximum continuous current of 1.5A in their specs. Could there be an issue with venting cells in turbo mode?"

Here is the answer I got:
"Hello Customer , The max current for the TK35UE 2014 is 3A ,there are some air holes in the tail cap , so don't worry about venting cells.
Best Regards Fenixlight Limited"

O.K. I will not drive this light in turbo mode with CR123As :crazy:

Roger Ranger

Enlightened

Has Selfbuilt gone back to US only CR123's? This paragraph is from his 2013 CR123 test.

It took me awhile to figure this out. In the early days of my review testing – when I used made-in-the-USA cells exclusively (mainly Duracell and Surefire) – I would sometimes see strange runtime patterns on heavily-driven lights on 4x and 2xCR123A cells. After a few mins runtime, the lights dropped-off rapidly to <50% output, remained there for awhile, started to recover output rapidly, only to then fall out of regulation. This pattern was far less likely to see after I switched to using the lower-cost, made-in-China Titanium Innovations cells (which I did in 2009, after having found they had pretty equivalent performance to made-in-the-USA cells). What can I tell you … even with donations, my annual battery costs still exceed my resources. :whistle:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has Selfbuilt gone back to US only CR123's?

I believe he has been using only US-made CR123A batteries for quite some time now.

His recent test of the Nitecore MH20 flashlight, for instance, used them. This activated the PTC protection in the batteries. He went on to say, "At lower levels, you can expect normal operation."

Your runtime charts and accompanying explanation suggest that the CR123A batteries have been driven to their limit. Huge drops in output are not caused by intelligent flashlight circuits. Instead the batteries' PTC has kicked in, forcing reduced current flow. Is this a good flashlight design?

Yes, I find it a source of concern to see PTC features kick-in on CR123A cells. I have certainly seen a lot of this over the years in testing (especially common on 4xCR123A lights). Examining the cells, you can sometimes see clear evidence of damage in the wrappers around the PTC. Invariably, the worse-affected cell is the one closest to the head (where most of the heat is concentrated).

It's fundamentally a problem of how heavily-driven lights are now on max, in general (i.e., not specific to Nitecore - or Olight, or ThruNite, etc, etc.). Multi-cell CR123A setups often don't seem suitable for sustained runtimes at max levels - even in lights with thermal regulation (which is designed to protect the circuit, not the battery). But of course, that's based again on made-in-the-USA CR123A calibration levels for PTCs. With made-in-China cells, you would probably almost never see that runtime pattern.

Ultimately, I would encourage people to use care when considering multi-cell CR123A use on any highly-driven light.

[Emphasis added]