Victorinox multi-tool oil to the rescue ( of a Hand Tool Rescue )

fulee9999

Enlightened
as someone who owns several victorinox multi-tools - and a few simple folding knives as well, - I previously purchased a vic oil to use on my gear after cleaning, and it's a very weird little oil, because it lubricates the metal parts, but rubs away on hand contact fairly easily, meaning you can just rub off the excess, but it will stay in place for months on the tool joints. It prevents rust from forming too, and is food safe! ( Which is one of the main reasons I use it. )

So long story short, I was working outside and left my big boy "screwdriver" outside, and as it is made of mild steel, after a brief rain and a day, it became visibly rusty. It wasn't a big issue, sanded down the surface rust with a wire sponge, cleaned it good, good as new, except now the machining oil that it had was on it was now gone.
I was going back and forth as to what to use on it, because it will go into my tool box, so I wouldn't want some grease or oil on it that would transfer to my other tools and make them slippery, and the great idea came to me.

I just applied one drop of the vic oil on each side of the metal handle part and on the business and as well, rubbed it in well with a tissue, and voila, a thin film of oil to prevent corrosion, while still remaining dry to the touch and won't mess up my other gear.

So morale of the story is, if you need just a little bit of grease/oil on something, but you're not the molybdenum disulfide on everything kinda person, you can give the vic oil a try, it's been a godsend for me. ( and it's food safe! :D )

Here's a picture of the tool I misplaced ( after cleaning ), and a Malkoff MD2 for scale
1655844010618.png

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice "screwdriver"! Looks great, and I'm sure the Vic oil will keep it covered. I prefer to use TUF-Glide for this duty, as it's a dry lubricant that stays in place much better than an oil. For food-safe applications, I just tend to use cheap, off-the-shelf mineral oil.

Geez, your MD2 is dwarfed by that thing!

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Victorinox oil is pure mineral oil, at least on their traditional SAK, it's transparent. This one looks different to me, but still food safe. Does it smell?

fulee9999

Enlightened
Victorinox oil is pure mineral oil, at least on their traditional SAK, it's transparent. This one looks different to me, but still food safe. Does it smell?

up close it does have some smell, but never noticed it before or in use of a tool

fulee9999

Enlightened
You have a Fury tailcap on that MD2. Are you running that on a protected 18650 & if yes how did you make it work? Only works with unprotected cells for me.

Actually that is a SureFire 6PX tail :) As you mentioned it gives the a battery a lot tighter longitudinal compression, which is optimal for me, as I run 2XCR123s in my MD2 and I don't like battery rattle. However, this way the springs are almost flat. The protected 18650 would be crushed to bits in this setup...

1655858111014.png

If only Gene made a tail with a protruding button but without the talons like on the tri-cap.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never bought it because it's too expensive here in Italy.

5ml now costs 13 euros and has a long spout.

But I saw a little while ago that there is 10 ml for 7 euros (short spout)

Is it a good price or is this less expensive oil a different oil?

Attachments

• vic oil.png
    vic oil.png
    302 KB · Views: 128
  • vic oil 2.png
    vic oil 2.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 97

fulee9999

Enlightened
I've bought mine ( 10ml ) from different places over the years, anywhere between 3 and 6 euros.
Amazon.de has it for 4.72 EUR currently. The 5 and 10ml should be the same, as long as it's the "multi tool oil NSF H1 food safe"

Yes it's expensive for the quantity, but you also need to remember that you can oil up a five layer SAK with around two drops, so it will last you. ( come to think of it, expensive is a relative term, the nano oil costs circa 20 EUR for an 8ml bottle, so yeah... )