Waterproof (and salt-resistant) red and green LED flashlights?

Buck13

Newly Enlightened
For use on the deck of my sea kayak, I made a "lightboard" about 20 years ago and power it with two red and green LED-Lite brand lights. I believe that brand has been out of production for a LONG time, and I haven't seen an ideal substitute to recommend to other people who want to do this (or for myself if, Choas forbid, these fail). Any suggestions of waterproof lights that come with red and green LEDs?

The ideal would be a plastic body with decent O-rings, since aluminum does not play well with sea water. A really well-made and well-anodized aluminum light might do, though.

An alternative would be a DIY mod of a small dive light to incorporate red and green emitters, if it was a fairly straightforward process for non-flashaholics...

Note that runtime is more useful than intense light. The four 5 mm LEDs in those old lights are plenty.

The last image shows the system in action with moonrise over Lummi Island, seen from north of Orcas Island around 10 PM on September 2, 2020. Sorry it's so blurry. I'd been up since 4:30 AM and had already driven 80 miles and paddled about 45 miles that day. I wasn't at my best as a photographer.

TIA!

(The close-up images show the lights as I pulled them out of the garage after neglecting them for a couple of years and the old alkalines were almost dead, so the lights are quite dim compared to their normal output. One cell in each light was just beginning to leak, so it's lucky I got them out to prepare for, hopefully, going on some night paddles again this year, or they'd have been ruined by the leaking cells.)

IMG_9746.jpg
IMG_9745.jpg
IMG_0737moonrise.jpg

Last edited:

Buck13

Newly Enlightened
PS, I used to be a regular lurker and infrequent poster here long ago, but lost my login info so I actually have *slightly* more than two posts in my history, unofficially.

LEDphile

Enlightened
West Marine sells a couple of battery-powered nav lights, which might be the easiest solution here. They aren't the highest quality, but they are purpose-designed for your application.