What is your, "give away to a stranger" light?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given away a bunch of Fauxtons (coin cell lights) in the day. I've had some AAA lights at work for this purpose for years but nobody has needed one yet.

I recently bought a ThruNite Saber neutral 1xAA light to put in the glove-box specifically to give away if necessary. I took out the nice USB-C rechargeable 14500 to use with another light and replaced it with a L91 Li Primary. Its a very nice light with only two modes, on a Nimh the modes are about 25lm and 200+lm. So that's really good for a non-flashoholic, who expects light when you turn it on (not moon-mode). As soon as you turn it on in low it puts out respectable (much more than their phone) amount of light on low (25 med focused lumens), and the performance on high is up better than most enthusiast AA lights. Runtimes are also great, better than some enthusiast lights. The optic produces a ringy beam on a white wall, but it's not that noticeable outdoors and has better throw than the triples that are popular right now.

Zero-Air has a review:

I bought a Convoy T3 for the same purpose, but I enjoyed it so much its mine now. I would think the Convoy T4 would also be good.

I'm a maintenance tech at an apartment complex, and a resident once asked if they could borrow my #2 Phillips screwdriver for a while. When I politely declined, they asked if I didn't trust them with it. I responded that I did not trust anyone who did not own a P2 screwdriver! With that philosophy in mind, I tell folks without a flashlight to use the one on their cell phone!

Z light

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting that so far not many folks have a specific brand/make/model of light which they specifically "stock" to give away. I think most of us have at least "a" light we would be willing to part with, but I think @IMA SOL MAN 's OP was specifically about what our "the" light (or stock of lights) is, for giving away.

I'm a bit of a knife guy, and I do have a knife which I keep a stock of to give away - the Civivi C907B Elementum Flipper in D2. They are fantastic bang for buck, entry level "real" knives that look great and perform very well. I've given away quite a few, and they are universally liked.

While I don't yet do the same for lights, I think I'm about to - thanks @IMA SOL MAN for the brilliant idea!
Without hijacking this thread, are there any suggestions?
I suppose we'd be looking for something like a decent quality 1AA LED with fairly muggle operation and excellent brightness, at an "I can afford to give several of these away" budget level.
I give away Olight i3e's there cheap enough and quality lights for non flashaholics. Allie express has some Olight wanabees that you can pick up for a couple of bucks in all different colors that the youngsters like.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm a maintenance tech at an apartment complex, and a resident once asked if they could borrow my #2 Phillips screwdriver for a while. When I politely declined, they asked if I didn't trust them with it. I responded that I did not trust anyone who did not own a P2 screwdriver! With that philosophy in mind, I tell folks without a flashlight to use the one on their cell phone!
I don't go to that extreme but don't buy stuff to give away to random strangers either.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I'm the same. I have older lights that I might give away to a needy individual, but it kind of depends on the circumstances. What I won't do is to give away a good battery like 14500/18650. Your average non flashaholic will most likely toss them when they're "dead". What often burns me up at this time of year is the number of people who walk around at night in dark clothing. Where I live there is no street lighting and some idiot walking or cycling along after dark is just asking for trouble. Last night I was walking after dark and passed a dog walker who was wearing some kind of torso cross belt with flashing lights on it. I said to her "love your flashy lights. Well done". I got a very nice "thank you" in reply.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
This past year, I gave a friend a light -- Malkoff M61W + SolarForce body + one Panasonic 18650 battery.

Can't recall the last time I gave "a stranger" one of my flashlights.

In my early flashaholic days a guy walked up to me with an unlit cigarette and says "got a light?". I reached in my trouser pocket and pulled out my Coast HP-1 and said "oh you mean for your cigarette" and handed him my BiC lighter.

I didn't give him either one though. I loaned him the BiC lighter.
This story reminds me of why I began carrying a flashlight back around 1992. I had always carried a lighter just in case, but I had also considered it to be my light source. This changed when I opened my '70 Torino's gas cap to visually check the fuel level using my lighter! :au: Half a second before winning a Darwin award, my so-called brain thankfully switched on! :geek: After a minute of talking myself down from moderate hysteria, I vowed to get a flashlight. I bought a Maglite Solitaire the next day! (I think the Bic was brighter. :unsure:)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think that I already responded to this thread. The light that I bought to purposely have on hand to give away to anyone in need is this Rayovac $10 rechargeable light at Walmart.
It has presumably an 18650 in it, and it is not removeable.

1701573425961.png

I've had it now for about a year, and haven't given it away yet.

About four years ago a young man approached me, walking in the street in the dark with his cell phone as a light. He came up my driveway and asked if I had seen a particular dog.

I gave him a defiant 3 C cell light.
It was loaded with an 18650 and adapter.

2 or 3 days later when I checked the mail in my curb side mailbox, the light was inside.
Apparently the young man used it, and returned it. The battery needed a charge, but it wasn't dead.
1701573935227.png
1701573981520.png
1701574006811.png

A kid I knew back in high school did that with a mower and a lit match. H is brain did not engage in time, and he got a bad burn. He survived though. Last I knew he is still alive, so guess he wised up.

A kid I knew back in high school did that with a mower and a lit match. H is brain did not engage in time, and he got a bad burn. He survived though. Last I knew he is still alive, so guess he wised up.
I'm glad he came out of it relatively unscathed. At least he had the excuse of being a high school kid at an age when you're supposed to be jackasstically-inclined. I was a 24-year-old grad student! Though, in my defense, I never did graduate! :LOL:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This story reminds me of why I began carrying a flashlight back around 1992. I had always carried a lighter just in case, but I had also considered it to be my light source. This changed when I opened my '70 Torino's gas cap to visually check the fuel level using my lighter! :au: Half a second before winning a Darwin award, my so-called brain thankfully switched on! :geek: After a minute of talking myself down from moderate hysteria, I vowed to get a flashlight. I bought a Maglite Solitaire the next day! (I think the Bic was brighter. :unsure:)
Having owned both.... Yeah, the Bic is brighter than the old inca. Solitaire.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Typically on trash day my canister has been emptied while I'm at work. Today the guy was running late. They use automated trucks now where the driver pulls rods and pushes buttons to empty the can without getting out. So at Christmas there's no way to gift the operator. I don't leave objects on top due to folks riding around looking for good trash left by the curb or porch pirates.

Being the guy was running late this year gave me a chance to hand him an nip black body 350 lumen one setting AA minimag. I have several nip Maglites (mostly 2D LED classics) to give to the trash guy and the recycling guy(s) each year but usually miss them.

buds224

Enlightened
I have a huge collection of freebie lights from Olight. Every sale, they usually include a free light, usually a aa model twisty. Since I have now a backpack full of them, I can give those away when needed without missing them. ***objective is to keep them away from my premium lights. 🙃