Wireless LEDs

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I just saw these today:

Very cool! They work on the same principal as wireless charging.

Applications? Right off these would be great to light stuff like structures on a train layout. Just glue the LEDs where you want them, put the coil under the structure, and you're good. No hassle with wires going to every LED.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
They would be great for aerial lighting yeah. You could just place magnetic coils in different locations, and just attach the light you want. Could switch them out for dimmer or brighter or different color temperature and they would just snap into a place.

LEDphile

Enlightened
I recall seeing a prototype artificial Christmas tree a few years ago that used a similar principle - there were LED "candy canes" that would light up when hung on the tree. Pretty cool, but never made it to production due to issues meeting regulatory EMI limits.

I suspect this has a similar issue - fine for experimental use, but probably not fine for widespread sale/use.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just saw these today:

Very cool! They work on the same principal as wireless charging.

Applications? Right off these would be great to light stuff like structures on a train layout. Just glue the LEDs where you want them, put the coil under the structure, and you're good. No hassle with wires going to every LED.

I bought a package of them from Adafruit also. Very cool. I laid them on my wireless charger and they pulsed from the electromagnetic field.