What would give most throw McR20S or McR19XR?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i were looking for the best hotspot and longest throw in a multi Emitter light.

What option would be best?

7x McR20S with Seoul emitters.
7x McR19XR with XR-E Emitters.
7x McR20 modified to accept the XR-E emitters.

Thanks,
Benny

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Honestly ... I'd forget the hotspot and concentrate on corona and spill management. Way more important IMHO, but that is a very subjective call, I know.

The best defined spot you will get with the McR-20S and the SSC.

My beam preference would be the McR-19XR with the Cree though. Tight spill and great corona. Awesome field of vision in mid range.

bernie

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly ... I'd forget the hotspot and concentrate on corona and spill management. Way more important IMHO, but that is a very subjective call, I know.

The best defined spot you will get with the McR-20S and the SSC.

My beam preference would be the McR-19XR with the Cree though. Tight spill and great corona. Awesome field of vision in mid range.

bernie

Thanks Bernie,

I think in an imaginary light like this with 7 emitters the spill will be great no matter what solution i will go for.Hence the question what will produce most throw.As i am looking for a mid range to long range light.

My favorite small reflector is the McR19XR,no doubt.
Ive also considered using the cheaper 20mm kathod reflectors which produce a very nice beam imho.There are also sputtered versions of these to be had so mixing them could produce a interesting result.

Ofcource this is all in my head for now,but i really want to see a light like this come to fruitation.
The Head diameter should not be awfully large...i think...:D

Mac is using the same idea in a smaller version 7x Mcr17XR Reflectors Direct driven with 6xRCR123`s in series.My vision is 6x18500 Li-ions in series which should produce a little better runtime and output.
Would the gain from going from 17XR -19XR be noticable enough to go through the trouble of having a light like this made?

Im beginning to think i should have posted this in Mac`s forum since this is right in his alley.
:candle:

Can any of the mods work theire magic?

Benny

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You won't get a long range light with the combos you mentioned. The SF M6 HOLA has about 20.000 lux IIRC ... and is far from being a long range light. You won't be much better, if at all, with the light you are describing.

I guess 7x19mm reflector won't fit in the usual hosts like KT4 and Mag?

bernie

P.S.: you want that thread, moved, right? to Mac's place?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benny what host are you going to use? The 17mm reflectors I'm using in the Sceptre are the limit on a Mag host. Even with the MCR17xr's I have to heavily bore the head.

Mac

AlecGold

Enlightened
lupine.de has something alike, 7 emitters, but with a cutom lens set. Its called betty, i have wilma, 800 lumens with 4 leds. They are extremely bright, superb build and a steep price :)

But 7 emitters will pull a lot of current!