• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Disable latching on remora

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
I have used the KD p7 3-mode drivers for bike lights and I like them because I can change levels at any time. However, they cannot run strings of LEDs unless they are run in parallel ( which is frowned upon but works fine if the LEDs are underdriven), and not at all to fully drive 3-4 xpg's at 1A or more. For this I would like to use a sharkbuck with remora set at 1.3-1.4A max( 2 - .12 ohm sense resistors ) but the remora locks out the ui after several seconds preventing level changes on the fly.
Is there any way to disable this latching so that all three levels are always available without having to turn off the light? Is it possible to remove the capacitor which has to drain? I do not wish to use a trimpot on top of my head. I have also used Maxflex but am looking for a buck driver Instead to resolve battery/current issues.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the KD p7 3-mode drivers for bike lights and I like them because I can change levels at any time. However, they cannot run strings of LEDs unless they are run in parallel ( which is frowned upon but works fine if the LEDs are underdriven), and not at all to fully drive 3-4 xpg's at 1A or more. For this I would like to use a sharkbuck with remora set at 1.3-1.4A max( 2 - .12 ohm sense resistors ) but the remora locks out the ui after several seconds preventing level changes on the fly.
Is there any way to disable this latching so that all three levels are always available without having to turn off the light? Is it possible to remove the capacitor which has to drain? I do not wish to use a trimpot on top of my head. I have also used Maxflex but am looking for a buck driver Instead to resolve battery/current issues.
A custom Remora UI could be made to remove the lockout. You would still have to tap the power of momentary to cycle to the next level. For biking and other fixed lighting I think the three stage switch would be preferred over a UI interface.

If you are still interested in a custom UI without the locking mechanism send me an email and I can work with you on a custom version.

Also, the new UI which is based on on state timing would be more preferable over the current UI as the cycle off time can be extremely short. The cycling mechanism is based off the GDuP software code UI.

The On state UI requires component changes to the Remora board and a slightly different installation method over the standard UI.
Wayne

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
I had put together a five-position switch with resistors and used with a Taskled Fatman but disliked the high power flash between levels and could not find a make/break push button in the ff I needed. My ideal ui would have click on/off and tap (from on) to change levels which I think is how your ui works except for the latching. It is also how the KD driver ui works and I have been very happy with it but it (kd p7 super output 3-mode) is not set up to push 1.5A through 3-4 xpg's. I like the robustness combined with the small size of your sharkbuck which fits in the lamp heads that I use (mr11 Vistalites)and are operated with the stock switch in those same lampheads. I will email as you suggested but since I haven't seen this topic in any of the threads I've searched, I thought I'd keep it in the open.
Thanks

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disabling the latch feature will get you what you want. It will cycle using a reverse clickie switch. That means a tap when on will cycle to the next level. I think that is what you are referring to.

Wayne

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Yes Wayne, that's exactly what I would like. The lamps already have a reverse clicky and there's barely room for some heatsink but not for a pot be it ever so small. What would be the cost of this mod on the remora? I used an online resistance calculator and figured two .15 ohm set resistors would give 1.33A or one .1 ohm and one .22 ohm for 1.45A(.22 is a 5% and at most would yield 1.49A) and I can assemble the Sharkbuck myself.
Thanks,
Scott

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone else interested in this mod? I'm sure Wayne would rather do a batch of several rather than one off several times. I'm curious to know if others think this ( non latching) ui is preferable to the existing one. Change modes anytime without having to turn off the light and wait for the caps to drain.
Scott

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,

It has taken me quite a while to re-learn how the code flow behavior is and what changes I need to make.

I have working code that has no lockout. I have it so that it remembers the last state when you turn it off. If it was in low it will power up back in low.

I do not know if you want it to remember the last state or if you would prefer it to always power up starting in low or for that matter some other state.

Please let me know how you want the power off to behave.

Wayne

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
OK,

It has taken me quite a while to re-learn how the code flow behavior is and what changes I need to make.

I have working code that has no lockout. I have it so that it remembers the last state when you turn it off. If it was in low it will power up back in low.

I do not know if you want it to remember the last state or if you would prefer it to always power up starting in low or for that matter some other state.

Please let me know how you want the power off to behave.

Wayne
Thank you for keeping up on this Wayne. I think the best thing for me would be to always turn on initially at low as I'm not moving or trying to be stealthy and want the light dim. Then, I can vary the light level on the fly with a thumb tap on the power button. This is not critical just for me ideal. Latching at last level would also be acceptable just not preferred.
I am okay with a soldering iron and have had little problem with wires or adding a 7135 to a board but I have no idea how hard it would be to add a .27 ohm resistor to a Sharkbuck 1A to get a Sharkbuck ~ 1.37A. I'd like to assemble the Sharkbuck and the Remora. What would be the cost of the custom Remora and Sharkbuck 1A with added .27 ohm resistor unassembled? I'll be using this to drive 4 xpg in series
Thanks
-Scott

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoever made these names should write puns professionally. :crackup:

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wayne, just checking in. I've read your posts about what you are and are not able to work on currently and was wondering where this on-state ui landed. At the moment, there is not a single driver that I can find with the combination of size, features, and flexibility that this Sharkbuck/Remora would deliver. I WILL be making another Vistalite mod of some kind this winter ( long, cold winter nights with a lamp and a soldering iron) probably using a Makita battery dock with 4s LEDs or some nimh cells with some other led arrangment. Out of town until the 16th of Oct.
Take care.
-Scott

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off. (I forgot...)

Sorry for the delay. I also ran into a firmware bug with the stock code. The new versions carried forward this bug. UI did not cycle properly. Boards in stock and in the field are not affected by this bug.

I have fixed the bug and have two versions. One with no lockout and another version that has no lockout and no memory.

If you are interested in one of these please contact Cindy and she will make a special button on the shoppe for this item.

Wayne

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Forgot what?
No problem. Possible to get : no lockout, turn on in low?
Thanks,
Scott