DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
FIRST I will say that these types of lights spark lots of controversy. This review is purely observational - based on functionality. Forget about price, manufacturer, or other emotional / philosophical comments.

I KINDLY ASK THAT IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THE MORAL / ETHICAL / EMOTIONAL / PHILOSOPHICAL DETAILS OF RIPPING OFF THE SUREFIRE DESIGN/NAME, START YOUR OWN THREAD. It's all been heard before, and I'd hate to see a technical review thread turn into the same old mush of complaining.

Ok I finally received the DealExtreme U2 clone. Ordered 1/18/2007, Received 1/30/2007.

It looks almost EXACTLY like a U2. SureFire logo and everything.
- It has a cheapy thin glass lens
- Smooth reflector
- No pocket clip
- tail clicky works differently than U2 and is difficult to use
- the "selector ring" is just for show, it doesn't even move
- 18650's work just fine in both modes

I have no way to do a runtime graph so don't expect that.

The light has 2 levels. The first level is just about equivelant to the U2's higest (level 6) mode.

The 2nd level is about equivelant to the U2's level 4 mode.

The parts fit together well. None of them are loc-tite'd. The "selector ring" is glued onto the body; i could not remove it (in fact i broke my vice trying)

The tail clicky sucks. You have to press it at like a certain angle to make it click, otherwise it feels like it jams and won't budge. Gross.

There is no momentary-on... 1st click = high level, 2nd click = low level, click again = off. The only gripe about the UI is that the light turns on when the switch is on its way back OUT. So, when you press it IN, the light is still off. When you let go of the switch, then it turns on (reverse clicky).

EDIT: The tail cap can be fixed - it can be disassembled from the inside, and there are lots of loose-fitting parts. Mine were all shoved off to the side, making the switch barely work. centering them made it work just fine, but i have yet to actually secure the parts centered. some other time when i'm not so lazy i guess...

If you remove the reflector, you can get a really nice wide clean flood of light - I might actually prefer it this way for some things.

EDIT: a few more comments:
- the tailcap is not compatible with the U2, and vice-versa
- the beam is pretty good. a little messy, but no big holes, donuts, stuff like that. there's less spill than a U2, and a tighter hot spot.
- the "selector ring" is aluminum
- the light is cast, not machined.

EDIT (2nd revision): Water resistancy. I dunked the light under my full kitchen sink of water for a few minutes, clicking like mad on the switch. SEEMED to work like a charm, but found that the LED was just barely lit while the light was off. I opened the tailcap again and found that water had gotten into the switch. So, it's NOT water resistant unless you find a way to seal the tailcap rubber.

Pictures... Note that my U2 is a lux lotter loser, and I have a relatively blue beam as it is.

Here is the packaging.
01.jpg

Inside the white box, the light was taped in bubble paper:
02.jpg

Compared to my U2. The clone is on top. Yep that's the surefire logo there, and surefire-looking serial number. The serial number is fake. Other people that have purchased this light also got A02621...
03.jpg

Compared to my U2 again. The clone is the top one.
04.jpg

Down the barrel!
05.jpg

Again.
06.jpg

Tail clicky is shorter. Notice the surefire.com link there... Also note that my U2 has Nekomane's z58 tailguard on it. That mod will not work with this clone, because the tailcap is all 1 piece.
07.jpg

Head assembly; apologies for the blur.
08.jpg

Without the reflector. Looks like an easy modee...
09.jpg

The tail cap - notice there is no spring. That is a spring-loaded piece of metal there.
10.jpg

Down the battery shaft. The head does not detach like the U2's. I am using my U2 to light the tube =)
11.jpg

Again...
12.jpg

High level, 1 meter away.
Real U2 on the left
Clone U2 on the right
13.jpg

High level, 1 meter away - exposure 1/1000 sec to compare beams.
Real U2 on the left
Clone U2 on the right
14.jpg

Low level, 1 meter away
Real U2 on the left (at level 4)
Clone U2 on the right (on low level)
15.jpg

Low level, 1 meter away - exposure 1/1000 sec to compare beams.
Real U2 on the left
Clone U2 on the right
16.jpg

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!

KROMATICS

Enlightened

Art Vandelay said:
I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!

Unbelievable. It was bad enough they copied the U2 design. With the Surefire logo and url there can be no doubt it was specifically designed for scamming people. Companies like this are despicable and should not be given our business. I wonder if Surefire can sue them as it's apparently Thunderdome over in China as far as IP is concerned.

Mr_Light

Enlightened

Two things:

I wonder if the reflector is deep enough for a CREE star swap?

Finaly, how long do they think they can get away with putting Surefire labeling on these? Kind of makes the coincidental resemblance argument a little tough to swallow....

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

NIce review! I've been waiting for more info on this light. Do you feel it's worth the $25 or whatever they are charging for it?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

tenfour said:
I KINDLY ASK THAT IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THE MORAL / ETHICAL / EMOTIONAL / PHILOSOPHICAL DETAILS OF RIPPING OFF THE SUREFIRE DESIGN/NAME, START YOUR OWN THREAD. It's all been heard before, and I'd hate to see a technical review thread turn into the same old mush of complaining.

I agree with the OP, please take it to another thread.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

Do you feel it's worth the $25 or whatever they are charging for it?

dammitjim: I need to use it a bit more. To me, the biggest functional drawback to the light is that the tailcap sucks. I assume I can fix that easily. Secondly, I don't know what the runtime on it looks like.

There are a lot of "pro"s about this light though - for $20, you get a 18650 compatible light with good beam, 2 levels, water resistant...

at the moment i'm happy i got it. time will tell the rest of the story.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

OK I have made a lot of revisions to the review. Most notably I found that the light is NOT water resistant. I just need to seal up the tail and it should be OK though.

stonehold

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info. I'm in a biusness which lives or dies by intellectual property, so the question of legitimacy is of course relevant to me. As a newbie I was not aware of the light cloning going on and may have gotten one if not for your post. My enlightenment continues.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

FIRST I will say that these types of lights spark lots of controversy. This review is purely observational - based on functionality. Forget about price, manufacturer, or other emotional / philosophical comments.

by this type of lights you mean blatant rip-off of a legitimate product designed to scam people? dang it they better cause controversy!! I don't care if I get ban for saying this, but people like you should be ashamed of yourselves.

there I said it. CPF has seen its lowest day since I joined two and half years ago.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like this good be a good host for a Cree mod, which would make this one hell of a light. Maybe your model was a dud as far as the tailcap goes. Looks like a pretty damn good deal for under $30 shipped.

mchlwise

Enlightened

270winchester said:
by this type of lights you mean blatant rip-off of a legitimate product designed to scam people? dang it they better cause controversy!! I don't care if I get ban for saying this, but people like you should be ashamed of yourselves.

there I said it. CPF has seen its lowest day since I joined two and half years ago.

You're sure on one today. :poke:

Thanks Tenfour for the objective and informative review. :goodjob:

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened

adirondackdestroyer said:
Looks like this good be a good host for a Cree mod, which would make this one hell of a light. Maybe your model was a dud as far as the tailcap goes. Looks like a pretty damn good deal for under $30 shipped.

I have recieved the same light,The tailcap is verry finicky.
overall a good light for the price.
Make sure you use surefire cells in it!:ohgeez:

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened

Just poking fun.When I got mine Surefire cells were all I had to put in it.:lolsign:

Last edited:

aurich_

Newly Enlightened

some should notify surefire about this, maybe they could inform us customs and do something about it.
there should be better ways to obtain a cheap housing for your mods.....

h

and i cant believe there are lengthy discussions in this forum about posting the 07 surefire catalogue based on copyright concerns and then people over here are promoting the sale of this light.

in germany havng such a light would be a fellony/misdemeanor

p.s.: sent an email to surefire, maybe they can do something about it

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

tenfour said:

As you wish but I would like to point out that intrinsic in this piece of poop forgery is a utter disregard for morals or ethics so it makes sense that any review would also be devoid of such. :shrug:

As always, one's vote with their dollars is heard and counted. Perhaps a group buy could be initiatied for someone to rip off a real Sure Fire dealer* of real SureFire goods and we could have a technical discussion on them after we bought them. You know, compare tints and such. Again, we could leave the morals and ethics out. :thumbsdow

* I am in no way proposing this because the CPF has rules about suggesting anything known to be illegal. This was suggested in jest as well as utter disgust!

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

Hmm. I had no idea I was going to turn into a badguy from this :/

For what it's worth, I am not devoid of morals. as stated, i was hoping for the sake of information & truth that we could leave judgements elsewhere, and leave facts in here.

I need to clarify some things here in my own defense.

1) I am not promoting the sale of this light. I bought it mostly with the intention of making this review. I was amazed when I received it that it had SF branding. At that point should I have said "ok shady dealings are involved, no review?" I don't think so. I said "well, the light works. And people are curious about it. Emotions aside, I will detail the functionality for those are curious."

2) I purposely wished to keep comments about the morality of this light separate from discussion of the technical details for what I hope are obvious reasons. I do have opinions on the morality of products like this. I think it's discipable (sp?).

Please do not pass judgement onto me.

greenLED

Flashaholic

aurich_ said:
some should notify surefire about this, maybe they could inform us customs and do something about it.
Waaaay ahead of you, aurich. I sent them an e-mail when the first glimpses of this light went public. AFAIK, the info was passed onto their legal department.

I said it on the other thread about this light:

Stick to your ethics. Vote with your wallet.

Personally, I'm :green: at the whole thing.