e2e or 9p

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
i found these on sale at cabelas. i didnt realize they were not let but i'm ok with that.

which is better the e2e? or the 9p?

what are my option for batteries?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2E will run on CR123 - any other option will need a change of bulb.

The 9P will run either 3XCR123 cells, or 2x 17500 cells with the stock bulb.
The 9P is a much bigger light, and will take some determination to EDC - pretty much a belt carry only sized light - the E2E is a pretty small light, that easily disappears in a pocket

I do EDC a 9P (bored and with a LED dropin) and I used to EDC an L4 (basically an E2E body with a LED head)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough choice.

If I had to choose only one I would get the E2e. Then find a few MN02 lamps. 2+ hours of very useable incan light.

Or as they say around here, get both!

A 9P with a Malkoff drop in is flashlight perfection! The stock lamp is no slouch either.

kelmo

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Are you planning on using the lights unmodified or are you planning on doing upgrades? In stock form, both lights are pretty basic.
If you think you might be interested in upgrading the light, IMO the 9P is far superior as it has an entire universe of aftermarket part upgrades & improvements.

Just buy both; you 'save' on shipping and you can see which style you like more. :devil:

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I bought two from there (e2e), one for me and one for a friend, they also have the 6P for sale online. I really like the e2e, its size makes it easier to carry than the 6p/9p, unfortunately it's not as easy or as cheap to upgrade. There are upgrades though, if you want to go that route.

archimedes

Flashaholic
so the 9p's are easier to upgrade to say a led or red led?

Yes, a red P60 drop-in can simply be "dropped in" to the 9P ... just be sure that your battery voltage matches the driver limits :)

(In other words, if you plan to use 3x CR123A primaries - the drop-in will need to be able to safely handle 9 volts).

Last edited:

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
they both look like nice lights

i might get 2 e2e's and one p9.

i might convert them to led. and make one a red led for hunting.

if i choose to convert them am i better off just buying a stock led flashlight.

z17813

Newly Enlightened

Honestly there is no one right answer. I like surefire lights as hosts for LED upgrades (I carry a surefire e1e with a malkoff M31W a lot) but on pure economic comparison it is hard to argue with a light from the likes of 4sevens, eagltac, fenix etc. compared to an upgraded surefire.
Still the surefire lights are great and popular for a reason.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
are either of these lights better throwers?

i'd like to have one set up as a edc. throw in the car or for camping

one as a red led for hunting.

one as more of a thrower for hunting.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
they both look like nice lights

i might get 2 e2e's and one p9.

i might convert them to led. and make one a red led for hunting.

IMHO the E2E or especially the 9P converted to LED will be better than most of the LED lights you can buy if you use quality components like a Malkoff M60/M61 drop-in.Many of the other lights offer multiple modes and some are very good but none of them are quite the same quality as a SF/Malkoff combo.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
yes for this reason i might but 2 p9's and convert both to led, one red led. will i have a hard time getting a red 9volt led?

i might leave the e2e stock for now, just because it might cost me more to convert. at least thats what i'm gathering from on here.

Illum

Flashaholic
E2e stock form limits you on future modifications, especially to LED.
9P isn't all that big to EDC, I've once EDC'd a SF M6 for about a year with no problems, but it really depends on how wide your pockets are. the P-series really benefit on the D26 compatibility which opens you to a world of P60 drop-ins to sure any purpose, and that it could be bored to fit 18650s if the need requires it.

E2e's are not bad to have one or two around. I like the form factor better than the 9P, but I'm not too thrilled about the incandescent intensity [granted I own 3 L4s, two of them modified with MCEs]. I've since found a liking to the 9P, but still carry the L4 as a backup.

the P90 lamp in the 9P runs very very white with 2x17500s, generally accepted as a very easy and stable hotwire, it has replaced my M3 for that matter, though the throw is [predictably] a little lacking.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
Can't comment on a 9p. But I would keep the E2e in it's incan form. lumens factory has bulbs that can run on rechargeable batteries. IMO, you can't beat the incan color. My E1e, E2e, or Centurion C2 will never see an LED drop in. Just my preference.

Paladin

Enlightened
I've been edc'ing a G3L with KX4D bezel for the last few weeks. It rides in an inner jacket pocket with my eyeglass hard case. Driven by 2x17500 yields guilt free lumens, in a form factor appropriate for random DNA sampling on the street...

Paladin

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently carrying an E2e that's running 17670 batteries with a Veleno (steve ku) LED drop in that has the neutral color. The color is very similiar to the incan color, and works pretty well in the dark. The E-series are the perfect size for EDC, in my opinion. But of course, the LED module didn't come cheap.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my Surefire E2e in stock form, but use the 9P with a Dereelight P60 module. You can convert to LED with both.

clark-kentski

Newly Enlightened
They also have a 6p defender on sale,i think im going to get the 9p also for my nightstand and keep the 6p in my saddlebags :naughty:

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
i bought 1 e2e and 2 9p's

i plan on leaving the ede in stock and converting the 9p's to led....one red.

i'm looking for advice on how to go about this as i'm new here and am pretty much lost with way too many options!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought 1 e2e and 2 9p's

i plan on leaving the ede in stock and converting the 9p's to led....one red.

i'm looking for advice on how to go about this as i'm new here and am pretty much lost with way too many options!
There is a member here known as "nailbender" who makes D26 sized (P60/P90 size) dropins
There is a number of options he can build for you, multi modes, different LED - different tint (warm, neutral, cool) and im pretty sure he does red and green dropins too.

A lot of people like the Malkoff brand dropins too - but they only come in the normal warm/neutral and cool led varieties