Flashlight Bombs in Phoenix, AZ

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was bad enough when I learned of idiots using green lasers on pilots. Now here is a MOST DISTURBING development about an alleged "flashlight bomb". From the sound of it, this could be a 2 cr123 light. I wonder if this was a exposion caused by the 2 CR123 cells as opposed to an actual expolsive device.

either way this does not help innocent, dedicated, well meaning people who wisely choose to wear 2 to 4 lights on their belt.
http://ktar.com/6/1546702/Small-bomb-goes-off-in-Phoenix-Salvation-Army-distribution-center

Of course NO flashlight expolsion is a desirable event yet knowing HOW this exposion was caused could help prevent this in the future. ****after reading the article again THIS IS REALLY BAD!, apparently not caused by cheap cr123s but actual explosives!!!!****

100 years ago people could buy all sorts of stuff in the mail or in catalogs.Let's hope this is not the start of "POLICE USE ONLY" lights forbidden to own by the general public.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A worst nightmare for flashlight lovers/ flash-a-holics.

This will not cause a new law or ban on flashlights, but it certainly is disturbing that some people are sick enough to plant explosives in everyday objects ad even more so in objects sent to donation centers. They just chose a flashlight because there is a button and you already know someone is going to press it even before having a look inside. The explosives where in a regular yellow flashlight, so it won't bring any special attention to our hobby, but you might want to double check that you didn't drop your light before you leave a store just in case someone read this article and is on the lookout.

davyro

Enlightened

At the end of the day someone who is determined to put an explosive into something they will do it in whatever they can,what are the lawmakers going to do stop you carrying a tin of beans or soda.Mobile phones the list goes on
so chill out & live your life,as soon as you start worrying about these people then they've won.Besides no lawman is going to take my light of choice from me,i used to be a sprint champion :eek:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

Terrorists plant explosives in just about everything; toys, ink cartridges, bottles, garbages, phones, etc.

Nothing new.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

I bet people who carry flashlights around with them will now be considered suspects though. While there are a fair number of people who carry lights around, they are still the minority by far. Bunch of flashlights being used as explosives + guy walking around downtown with a flashlight in his pocket, could equal trouble. That's the way some people might start thinking unfortunately.

LGT

Enlightened

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only worst-case scenario that comes to mind would be having your lights disassembled while traveling through an airport or any other type of checkpoint like a Federal building.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would think more likely a 6V floating lantern.
a standard 6-volt yellow flashlight
Surefires may be "standard" to you, but I'd bet most people think of something they can find at Walmart. Besides, bigger light = much easier to fit a decent amount of explosive and a switch-operated detonator.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

I would think more likely a 6V floating lantern.

Surefires may be "standard" to you, but I'd bet most people think of something they can find at Walmart. Besides, bigger light = much easier to fit a decent amount of explosive and a switch-operated detonator.

True! I'd forgotten about those...haven't touched one since I was five lol...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully it is the big lanterns, I think Pelican makes a couple yellow 6 volt flashlights too. Geez, I'm glad no one was killed. :eek:oo:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the TSA or other Fed security begin screening flashlights for explosives I expect that what they'll do is simply confiscate them like they do knives & lighters. So I'd avoid carrying a SunDrop or other $$$ EDC light if new screening regs are instituted...

fyrstormer

Banned

If the TSA or other Fed security begin screening flashlights for explosives I expect that what they'll do is simply confiscate them like they do knives & lighters. So I'd avoid carrying a SunDrop or other $$$ EDC light if new screening regs are instituted...
If you demonstrate that the flashlight turns on when you press the button, you should be fine. Generally people won't be willing to detonate a bomb in their hand.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

If you demonstrate that the flashlight turns on when you press the button, you should be fine. Generally people won't be willing to detonate a bomb in their hand.

Lol, I could see that going so well.

TSA Agent - "Sir, is that a flashlight?"

CPF Member - "Why yes it is, that is a Surefire 6P with an XM-L upgrade etc... ... ..."

TSA Agent - "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the bag."

CPF Member - "It's just a flashlight. Here, I'll prove it by turning it on."

TSA Agent - "Sir, Step Away From The Bag."

CPF Member - "Just let me turn it on."

TSA Agent manhandles CPF Member away from bag.

CPF Member - "JUST LET ME PUSH THE BUTTON, I CAN PROVE IT'S A FLASHLIGHT! I NEED TO
CLICK THE BUTTON!"

TSA Agent - "WE HAVE A 10-35 IN PROGRESS REFERENCE 10-79! TAKE HIM DOWN NOW!" :twak:

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened

Given what other bombers will willing to do, it (sadly) would not surprise me if they did blow it up, thinking they could at least still some damage (and create chaos...). Remember, the people carrying bombs on to aircraft aren't right in the head in the first place...

Tiresius

Enlightened

whoa...and I work as a volunteer in my local Salvation Army church. This I have to tell to my fellow Christians.

fyrstormer

Banned

Given what other bombers will willing to do, it (sadly) would not surprise me if they did blow it up, thinking they could at least still some damage (and create chaos...). Remember, the people carrying bombs on to aircraft aren't right in the head in the first place...
In the long-term, incidents like that will have to be considered acceptable losses. Terrorism works by trying to make every detail of everyday life a possibility for unexpected injury or death. While working to stop terrorists before they can act is important, beyond that the only way to make terrorism ineffective is to act like it's nothing to panic about.

In regards to stopping terrorists ahead of time: the reason the TSA does its job so poorly is because they're not allowed to profile people based on their personal history, which means they're essentially left with no other effective tools to predict who intends to commit terrorism. So they are given no reasonable option but to create rules that affect everyone equally, as though everyone is equally likely to be a terrorist. Sometimes being fair to everyone is unfair to everyone.

Anyway, a couple years ago I brought a few McGizmos on an airplane with me. The TSA guy asked what they were; I said they were flashlights, and he put them in the bin for me to collect after I walked through the metal detector.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened

The article indicates the light was actually packed with explosives. I was recently briefed at work on this danger, a flashlight matching the description of the one in the article was found at a Chicago freight transportation facility on transport origination from Arizona. The light pictured in the briefing was a Yellow "Everyday" 6-volt flashlight pictured here, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ENERGIZER-Industrial-Lantern-1LEF6<
The IED flashlight found in Chicago was not detonated and its true nature was discovered without injury. I heard there were similar cases in Arizona but didn't know they were reported. It is good to know that no one was seriously hurt in the other incident. I don't know how since, the first thing somebody does when they find a flashlight is pick it up and see if it works. Apparently, though, the explosive charge is not very powerful if the person holding the light while it was detonated only received minor injuries and was treated on the scene. I hope the FBI catches that sicko.

Last edited:

fishndad

Enlightened

They didnt ban shoes from air travel so why ban your EDC.

sadboy

Newly Enlightened

Thankfully, those lanterns are not EDC.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's an updated AP article on the threat. Strange that Verizon would publish it under entertainment.verizon.com.

2429c288-a08b-487a-b6f5-5a4f1765c8df.jpeg