NiMH AA (non-LSD): Which ones?

snakyjake

Enlightened
I've been trying to read all the posts on which batteries are considered best, but couldn't find a simple summarized conclusion.

Out of all the NiMH AA non-LSD, which battery manufacturer/model is best?

Maha Powerex 2700
Sanyo 2700
Either, both or near identical.
Other?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think about it, its going to a hard one to call.....most if not all will have a preference. I tend to use lsd's in all my lights and the ones that get used everyday have Energizer 2450's and Duracell 2650's.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Probably because most people have abandoned the high self discharge, high (initial) capacity cells in favor of more robust, practical low self discharge cells.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Hmmm...why "non-LSD"?
Humbly suggest you concentrate on getting a super-duper, state-of-the-art charger first, like La Crosse or Maha. Then, you can get any stupid, idiotic, cheap-*ss NiMH on sale, and get max capacity and lifespan :confused:.

snakyjake

Enlightened
From my understand, I can get higher capacity with non-LSD. 2700 mAh vs 2000 mAh.

I'm under the assumption that it could take 3 to 6 months of self-discharge from a 2700 mAh to equal a 2000 mAh. And I was planning to exhaust the battery prior to 3 months.

Therefore I was planning to use non-LSD batteries for everyday use. I would use LSD batteries for devices that don't get exhausted before 3 months.

A good example:
Sanyo 2700 = 154 minutes.
Sanyo 2000 Eneloop = 112 minutes.

How many months must lapse before a Sanyo 2700 equals the capacity of an Eneloop? From my reading, it happens around 6 months.

I figure the trade off is maximum capacity now vs. after 6 months.

Here's my logic:
If I need maximum capacity for a weekend, go high capacity.
If I need maximum capacity <6 months, go high capacity.
If I need maximum capacity >6 months, go with LSD.

Or maybe I'm over looking something? Maybe the high capacity won't hold the 2700 mAh after a few cycles? Maybe a LSD holds the charge better after a few cycles?

I've been planning on the Maha 9000 charger. Expensive and still trying to justify the cost-savings. And I hope the 9000 charger is simple to use. I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money/time to squeeze a few more minutes out of a battery. It would just be easier and perhaps cheaper to carry a few spares...which I plan on doing regardless of batteries or charger.

Marduke

Flashaholic
A high capacity cell is equal a LSD cell in 1-2 months at best, not 6. A typical high capacity NiMH will discharge approximately 30% per month.

High capacity cells are also more fragile, meaning they are less likely to hold up over time. You are more likely to accidentally damage them, and they are more likely to develop higher self discharge with fewer cycles.

Also, many high capacity cells are not really that high capacity. A company can print whatever they want on the label, that doesn't mean the cell will actually manage that value.

A LSD cell such as Eneloops maintain a higher voltage during discharge, making a light brighter and/or more efficient, and is more likely to be a direct replacement for voltage sensitive devices designed for alkalines.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference to some extent is with lifespan.

An Eneloop has a lower nominal capacity, but it is a very robust cell. You can charge it fast or charge it slow with almost any charger, and it will keep performing.

The higher capacity 2700 mAh cells seem to do better when tested from new, but they are more fragile. After a few cycles you may find them discharging within just a few weeks rather than months. They may suffer more from using a cheaper charger rather than a quality charger like the C9000. An occasional mishap may ruin them.

So your choice comes down to this: if you want the absolute maximum capacity, but are prepared to pay a little more to get it and accept that you may have to replace your batteries with new ones more frequently, then the 2700's may be for you. However, if you want the best long term value, convenience and durability out of your batteries, and are prepared to sacrifice a bit of capacity for that, then Eneloops would be the ones to get.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Ahhh...now student understand.
Consider AA NiMH's: 2000mAH Eneloops, and 2700 mAH Enerjunks.
1) as a practical matter, you will NOT notice a difference in capacity between the 2 in heavy-demand, everyday applications.
2) they are pretty much the same $$$
3) the 'lower' capacity Eneloops will hold power through many months of idle storage, whereas Enerjunks will not.
4) in all cases, LSD Eneloops are King of The Hill.

Last edited:

Nubo

Enlightened
Though I use Eneloops for most things now, my Titanium brand AA (2600) have been quite durable and I rotate them through my EDC light since I usually swap batteries in it every day or two and self-discharge is not an issue. Well, the pathological self-discharge of Energizer2500 might be an issue. I happened to find some of those today that I forgot I had. Didn't even bother charging them.

coppertrail

Enlightened
The only Non-LSD NiMH AA cells I use are the Powerex 2700s. Low self-discharge rate for non-LSD cells and they live up to their rated capacity.