Best way to store batteries?

tygger

Enlightened
i backpack and hike quite a bit and always carry a small nalgene cylinder like container about 4"x2" with a variety of batteries, next to one another, vertically. my only concern has been condensation from changing temperatures forming inside and possibly shorting out the batteries. it hasn't happened before but this isn't something i want happening if i'm out in the wild for a few days. my question is, should i buy some silica gel packs or something to put in there to absord possible moisture? do they even work that well? is there a better, fool proof, way to store some AA and CR123 batteries while i'm backpacking?

tygger

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif,

To be absolutely sure, just wrap each bat. in a little bit of Saran Wrap(LDPE), then put them in a zip lock baggie.

just steve

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tugger,

I don't believe a small amount of moisture is a problem, just make sure you dry things out after you get back.

I like Steve's suggestion. It would also offer some protection against shorting cells out.

I carry my AA cells in a zip lock bag and my 123's in a water proof match container. No problems so far.

I also try to plan my outings around good weather... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

stringj

Newly Enlightened
http://tinyurl.com/cn87a

I bought some of these after another person on CPF recommended them. They are excellent and I don't just throw that term around. They can hold up to 7 123 cells (they work better with 6). I've never tried AA cells so I can't say how many it would hold.

Jerry
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6628/omniseal0ij.jpg

P.S. I checked when I got home and these will hold 6 AA cells secure and dry.

tygger

Enlightened
thanks for the suggestions everyone. Stringj, i really like those little bags, they look similar to the one that holds my doug ritter survival kit contents. have to get me some of those.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
take a few of the tiny dessicant packets you get in pill bottles and put em in with the batteries.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you guys want some silica-gel, send me an e-mail with your addy. I have several pounds of the stuff. Depending on how much you want, I'd ask you to pay for shipping.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
should batteries be stored in shock proof container such as pelican case?

greenLED

Flashaholic
not really, it's just a convenient way to keep them organized (vs. loose in a drawer or a pocket, for example).